Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Flats on a Longhorn

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Larzito, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Last night we did alternating sets with another band. The other band's bass player played his recently acquired Danelectro Longhorn reissue strung with Fender flats (not sure of the guage). Punchy punchy punchy! Really cut through the mix and had a warm, even tone from string to string. He is an aggressive player, and these strings (and the short scale bass) really let him punch through. He said they were really inexpensive strings too...I'm going to give them a try. Fender flats come in odd guages compared to a lot of other brands. Anyone used them and can recommend a guage...I'm looking for string tension equal to DR Sunbeams...not too tight but not floppy like the TI flats.

2. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I cannot compare them to the strings you have, but right now I have them on my Warwick Corvette Standard, and it is very very punchy and warm, but also quite clear, I like the strings but the E string is quite floppy and is annoying, I may try a larger gauge, right now I have .45-.95's on there, I believe they make .100's and .105's not sure though.

Anyone have any more info about these strings? a tension chart or something?

Peace
    -Ben