Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, Feb 28, 2001.

1. I need to know everything about the 9050's...I'm very concerned about tone and tension. I plan to play them through my washburn PJ (mostly through P) w/rosewood fingerboard.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't know if I can tell you everything, but I'll tell you what I know. First, I like them- a lot. I have finally settled on TI Flats for my Precision, but 9050's are my second choice, and first choice on my fretless. They are stiff-feeling, and relatively high tension. I have used the 9050L and ML sets, and the ML's are going back on my fretless when I put it together. They give a nice, dark, URB-ish tone. The ML's seemed to have a better-sounding G string, at least on my basses. Even though .050-.100 doesn't sound very big, they're plenty stiff. They have a strong attack, i.e., they're thumpy, with reasonable sustain.

The only reason I prefer the TI's is that almost all string sets have a tendency to go from dark on the E, to bright, on the G. TI's seem more consistent across the fretboard, with a really solid-sounding G. However, IME, the Fenders are better in this regard than GHS Precision Flats, D'Addario Chromes, Carvin Flats, and Rotosound Jazz 77's.

Just MHO, as always, HTH, and YMMV.

3. I've not tried the TIs so I don't know how they compare. The Rotosounds 77 I think are very cool. I've had mine about a month and they are giving me the tone I've been seeking for a long time. Nice thumpy vintage Fender, ironically moreso than the Fender flats I've tried. Key to flats is good midrange control, I just realized this!

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I switched from Fender flats to TI because of the twangy G syndrome on the Fenders.