1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, Feb 28, 2001.

1. I need to know everything about the 9050's...I'm very concerned about tone and tension. I plan to play them through my washburn PJ (mostly through P) w/rosewood fingerboard.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't know if I can tell you everything, but I'll tell you what I know. First, I like them- a lot. I have finally settled on TI Flats for my Precision, but 9050's are my second choice, and first choice on my fretless. They are stiff-feeling, and relatively high tension. I have used the 9050L and ML sets, and the ML's are going back on my fretless when I put it together. They give a nice, dark, URB-ish tone. The ML's seemed to have a better-sounding G string, at least on my basses. Even though .050-.100 doesn't sound very big, they're plenty stiff. They have a strong attack, i.e., they're thumpy, with reasonable sustain.

The only reason I prefer the TI's is that almost all string sets have a tendency to go from dark on the E, to bright, on the G. TI's seem more consistent across the fretboard, with a really solid-sounding G. However, IME, the Fenders are better in this regard than GHS Precision Flats, D'Addario Chromes, Carvin Flats, and Rotosound Jazz 77's.

Just MHO, as always, HTH, and YMMV.

3. I've not tried the TIs so I don't know how they compare. The Rotosounds 77 I think are very cool. I've had mine about a month and they are giving me the tone I've been seeking for a long time. Nice thumpy vintage Fender, ironically moreso than the Fender flats I've tried. Key to flats is good midrange control, I just realized this!

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I switched from Fender flats to TI because of the twangy G syndrome on the Fenders.

5. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    My 9050SL set on my Jaguar doesn't seem twangy on the G, although I only have the Dean with Dunlop Super Bright Steel Mediums to compare with.

Overall, I find the feel of the flats on the Jag more conducive to practicing than the feel of the rounds on the Dean. Since I need all the practice I can get...:bassist::D

6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I wonder if in the nearly 16 years since asking, the OP has learned everything about Fender flats.

7. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    Probably on their first set still. :)

8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Up to 2010 Fender flats were made in-house; the current ones, which you play, are outsourced. Folks who tried both say they're completely different strings. This thread is from 2000, so, yeah.

9. I would have to agree this thread is a bit too outdated to be relevant.

There are enough threads floating around that specifically deal with the current version of the 9050s.

10. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    It's my fault, I didn't read the post dates. I apologize.

11. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I don't mind zombie thread resurrections (but I do find mildly funny when years old questions are answered, or posts are quoted from members who aren't even here anymore), I only pointed out the dates as an explanation for the different behaviour of your G: new Fender flats are reportedly a different animal from the old, and specifically livelier and less tubby overall (I have tried the new and like how growly they are), so what you're experiencing is a better string-to-string balance - the old ones where probably all thumpy (and the E quite dead) except for the thinnest, single-wrapped string, as tends to be the case with other traditional-sounding flatwound sets as well.

Shannon likes this.
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Give Shannon credit for using the search function.

13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Oh, I'm a big user and proponent of it myself (but not to the point of getting mad at anybody for not using it - I'd ragequit in a week if I allowed myself to, since few use it...). Also, I categorically believe he's not at "fault" and shouldn't apologise. Again, it was just the specific history of the product that prompted me to comment.

14. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    Alrighty, that does make more sense about the G. And Search is fun, it takes me strange places...

[​IMG]

HaphAsSard likes this.