Fender flatwounds on Beatle Bass copy?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gear_Junky, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Hi, all. After a long "break" of about 10 years I now have a bass again. A violin bass copy - 30.5" or so scale.

I want inexpensive flatwounds for it and wonder if Fenders will work or are they too long?

Thanks!

P.S. I know that typically people use "medium" not "short scale" strings because of the tailpiece.

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I'd be less worried about length, and more worried about tension. Usually Beatle basses or copies are very unhappy with high tension strings. And Fender flats are amongst the highest. Find something short or medium scale for length. LaBella Beatle bass strings are a medium priced option for you. The best (lowest tension) are Thomastiks and Pyramids, in that order. BUT, they're $45-70 a set. Stick with small gauges too, maybe .040 to .095.

3. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    hm, it was always my understanding that a shorter scale means less tension on the same gauge string. that's why people can put heavier gauges on short-scales and still be able to play without extra effort. Or do I have this whole thing backwards?

I already ordered the Fenders (45's - light gauge) because I've read in string reviews that a few people use them on beatle basses.

i suppose i'll just have to see.

4. rickfan63

rickfan63

Dec 5, 2006
    I plan on putting either SIT Power Flats 50-105, LaBella Tapewounds 60-110, or GHS Brite Flats 52-105 on my Brice Beatle Bass when I get the extra cash to spare. If you want flats, the GHS Precision Flats, or Rotosound RS88 Tapes, are good cheaper alternatives than the TI's. McCartney used the Roto Tapes on his Hofner in the Let It Be film. If you want really low tension though, the TI's are your best bet.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Standard short scale bass strings do NOT fit the Beatle Bass copies. The string length needed is longer than the correct string for 30" solid body basses because of the tailpiece used on the Beatle basses. The actual string length needed is more like a 32" set than a 30".

I like Fender strings, but THE string setup for these basses is the Labella Hofner Custom flatwounds. They are a wonderful string on those instruments, and I hang out on at least three forums where people swear by them on the Brice, Turser, Rogue and Hofner basses. The Labellas are made specifically for the string length on this particular style of bass.

Pay the few dollars more for them - they are well worth it.

6. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    thanks. i did already order fender flats but maybe will try the "special" strings in about a year.

do you know if they actually have different core? without that it really wouldn't matter, except for proper attachment (where the thinner part begins to wind onto stringpost).

7. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

Mar 11, 2007
    Michigan
    Just played a Hofner with the LaBellas on it Saturday and, YES, it is very nice. Real "silky" feeling, if that makes any sense. They just felt soft and comfy with that sweet old "thumpy-thang" rolling off them. Yeah, definitely worth the cash. Life's too short to play on crappy strings. I like the Fender(9050's) flats on my long-scale fretless. Great for my heavy touch.
    Josh

8. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    As I recall, I had a set of Fender flats on my Rogue knock off.
    They worked just fine.
    I sold it and bought a Hofner Club that comes with Pyramid strings.
    I like these a lot.
    But I think I am going to try the La Bella Beatle bass strings next.
    They are a slightly lighter gauge then the Pyramids and less expensive.
    McCartney supposedly uses them now.
    I have heard reports that they die rather quickly though.
    If that is true, I guess Paul can afford to change them often...

9. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    I have not done a lot of different strings, being a newbie, but I have TI flats on my Epi Viola, and I love em.... .043-.106. Love the feel, love the sound. Beautiful.

10. rickfan63

rickfan63

Dec 5, 2006
    I might have to give the La Bella falts a shot on my Brice Beatle Bass whan I can scrape up the extra funds. I'm in between jobs right now so I'm having to be tight with my money.:mad:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021