Fender Flea Road Worn Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by starjag, Jan 15, 2020.

1. She is busy saying hello to her new brothers and sisters.

I’m about to set it up and give the fretboard some lemon oil.

E8A0D61E-9205-4A46-9ED6-80513EDD0306.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    FACTION95, arca_tern, murphy and 4 others like this.
  2. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2019
    You were determined. Hope you love it as much as the others that have contributed to this thread. Enjoy!

u2brothr likes this.
  3. Wow.. this is a tone machine. Finally set up. Gave it just a wipe down. Dressed the fretboard. Stuck on some Fender 7250M Nickel Plated Steel (I'm more of a DR string man myself). I'm blown away. All this for a made in Mexico bass? It FEELS 1960........ I'm so happy. I'm so used to a 9.5 fingerboard radius.... this 7.25 is just incredible.

FACTION95, murphy and flatwound62p like this.
  4. My RW Flea so far records better then any of my other Jazz basses, and I’ve got some fairly nice ones ;) the magic is in the pickups but the feel let’s you play with mojo at your finger tips!

murphy likes this.
  5. So I've just realized or remembered, this bass has the well know "nitro" finish. This is my first bass with such a finish. It appears the previous owner sat the bass in a stand which cradled it from the bottom? Small parts at the bottom of the bass have slightly discoloured from the bass sitting in a stand. It is not a deal breaker. Hardly noticeable. However, that means going forward I won't be leaning the bass in my cheap Fender lean rack.

I think Hercules stands are the only ones that claim to be safe for nitro finishes.....amd I correct? (I do have a single auto grip stand) in which the bass currently sits.

I think I will get rid of the fender multi stand and replace it with a Hercules multi stand, unless someone has some tried and true options?

6. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMM...
    Is that supposed to be "Flea Blood", on Mine?

I've never liked "Signature" basses. This one is growing on Me. I'll DEFINATELY change the neck plate. So happy that that is the only place that indicates "signature."
    Not sure that I like the "clicky" rotary tone switches.
    Neck... maybe too Geddy (thin).

She has My '75 RI to contend with.

LOVE the tones.
    But... the reverse tuners are driving Me a tad MAD!!!

So far... it's LOVE, with a teeny bit of hate.
    I'll keep Ya'll posted.
    Flea_Bass1.jpg

murphy and Andrew Scott like this.
  7. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott

May 11, 2019
    Hi i changed neck plate to Fender road worn one looks cool

murphy and Marc DLarosa like this.
  8. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    NICE!!! Even though this one was "relic'd" to look "legit." It still sorta bugs Me...
    Flea_plate.jpg

9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Where did you get yours? Somebody sure messed with it some more by adding that weird fake blood (what the hell is that?) and relic'ing the neck plate.

10. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Trust Me.
    It's STOCK that way.

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I've been through 3 of those because the QC was all over the place, but I've never seen them do something like this lol. I don't even know what to say. Either somebody was drunk that day at the factory or somebody lied to you.

12. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Okie Dokie.

mouthmw likes this.
  13. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott

May 11, 2019
    Heres mine

Attached Files:

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  14. I love the Flea neck plate. I’m a flea fan and even managed to get a signed copy of his new book “Acid for the Children”.....

his legit autograph.

I am loving this bass.

bigbassmike likes this.
  15. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Alrighty... I owe You an apology. You got Me to thinking... So, I contacted the seller. He stated that the Guy that He got it from said it came that way. I took pictures, and sent them to Fender. They confirmed that this is nothing that THEY have ever done. Seller then contacted the Guy that he got it from, who then... FINALLY admitted that he had done this, as He was playing in a METAL band, and a Pink bass "NEEDED SOMETHING." Well... now it's mine. I kinda like like the way it looks. I'll still be changing the neck plate. And... who knows? I may keep, or get rid of it. Not because I don't love it, but... well.. the whole "signature bass" thing still sorta "bugs' me.

16. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    They're very nice jazz basses though (those Pure Vintage ’64 pups are nice), but I do understand what you mean. I'm not into sig basses either, even though I love Flea, but still. Hey, at least yours is now unique, right? :)

u2brothr likes this.
  17. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
    You guys got my juices flowing. Haven't felt much urge to play at all since gigs were shut down a few months ago. Just pulled out me Flea and let rip. Man I love this bass :thumbsup::thumbsup: Feels and sounds so good.
    Blacked out by the previous owner so no Sig Bass Cringe for me :hyper:
    20201026_194549.jpg

friend33, StevieMac, shojii and 7 others like this.
  18. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2019
    The road worn Flea neck is so nice! You can always get a different body and swap the electronics. Or perhaps refinish the body given the light nitro finish. From the "package" perspective, it is one of the best value packages Fender offers these days.

murphy and u2brothr like this.
  19. what VVT did you end up going with? I'm not loving the vtvt and may swap.

murphy likes this.
  20. I’m wondering if the v/t/v/t with the OE pots/capacitors somehow gives the RW Flea 64’ pups their magic? I was thinking of swapping mine to v/v/t but didn’t want to disturb the extremely awesome Jazz tone I get from this bass..

murphy, Ricky Rioli and arca_tern like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021