Fender Flea Road Worn Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by starjag, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Personally, I wouldn't swap it. Part of the mystique of this bass is this stacked pot combination. I say don't disturb it.

Decided on a pink strap for the pink bass....

IMG_4428.jpg

DJJazzV, friend33, murphy and 3 others like this.
  2. I just find that every time
    I turn down the tone it also accidentally turns down the volume of the one pot and then introduces some not so nice 60 cycle hum.

3. I have a solution to this.

When I got my bass from the previous owner, this was happening to me with stacked bridge pots. There is a fix.

The volume dial is seated too tight to the tone dial. You need a tiny little flat head screw driver.... Put it inside the sliver volume know.... where the black black screw is and loosen the screw. Now lift the silver volume dial a few millimetres and retighten the screw. You are reseating the dial a little higher so it doesn't rub against the black tone pot. This will allow them to move independently.

This worked for me. I retightened it with super strength and the volume pot has not moved inward since.

Let me know how it goes.

and hello fellow Canuck.

murphy, StevieMac, shojii and 4 others like this.
  4. Smart. That may save me some time and money for sure. Will give it a shot later tonight.
    Hope you’re staying safe over in TO

shojii and u2brothr like this.
  5. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Bushwood Caddy Day: 1:00 to 1:15 Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I built my own. CTS "Fender Vintage" pots from GuitarCenter, cloth covered wire, Switchcraft Jack, Orangedrop cap, Fender knobs, and a Roadworn 4 hole plate I found on ebay. Very inexpensive, and so easy to put the old VTVT back if you want. I sold the VTVT. I think I got close to $100 for it.
    The swap also gives you the opportunity to ground the bass even better. I even went the extra step and conductive paint shielded the control cavity.
    Jplate.JPG

6. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott

May 11, 2019
    Looks great black any more pics ?

murphy likes this.
  7. DJJazzV

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    ...and don't forget to "antique" a Hipshot reverse D tuner to match the other roadworn tuners.
    Jtuner.JPG

murphy likes this.
  8. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Nice tough! Is that one also "reverse" tuner?

9. Mikecan

Mikecan

Jan 25, 2011
    Albuquerque
    I dig the neck plate too. I’m keeping mine all stock. Fantastic bass.
    Great book. It’s a miracle that Flea and AK are still living after all of their adventures.

murphy and u2brothr like this.
  10. Mikecan

Mikecan

Jan 25, 2011
    Albuquerque
    I did the same thing with mine.

u2brothr likes this.
  11. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
    Sorry, forgot to respond :facepalm: Here's another one taken outdoors. What's not to like about an instrument you can set down on gravel and not be at all fussed :thumbsup:

20201119_110902.jpg

bigbassmike, murphy, DJJazzV and 3 others like this.
  12. Right? AK's book is just bananas..... Flea seemed to go crazy too... not but not as hardcore as AK.

back to the bass....

This bass is now my "daily driver". It's the one I grab first when I'm practicing. Once you get past the relic'd look (trust me, prior to this I had my share of *issues* when it came to relic'd basses. I like my sh!t to look new... you know)....... I feel this is one of the best "bangs for the buck" when it comes to owning a solid bass.

I dunno if its the nitro? I don't know if they used a process to "age" the wood. I don't know if it is just the independent tone knobs. This bass is the bees knees. I absolutely love the shell pink colour.

13. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott

May 11, 2019
    Nice one looks like a Custom shop jazz now!

murphy likes this.
  14. DJJazzV

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes. Reverse tuner. Feels just like the others.

u2brothr and starjag like this.
  15. DJJazzV

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That looks awesome!

16. My first cover with this badboy...

shojii, DJJazzV, StayLow and 3 others like this.
  17. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

shojii and u2brothr like this.
  18. DJJazzV

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Still my #1 bass. Here's a recording from this morning:

19. Nice playing. Wow. I’ve never heard that cover before. You make the bass sound pretty darn good. Great groove.

DJJazzV likes this.
  20. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Nice playing and bass. Good bass face too, but very serious. ;)

shojii and DJJazzV like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021