Fender Flea Road Worn Jazz Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by starjag, Jan 15, 2020.

1. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    It is not skinny/flat like the Japan Geddy Jazz basses.
    I like to play my Precision basses and switch to the Flea with no problem.

friend33 likes this.
  2. You might want to look into a 70’s profile neck, I have an Allparts 70’s neck and it feels like a baseball bat compared to my Flea and my previous RW Jazz basses. Of course their all different profiles but still have a 1.5” nut, I’m more interested in fretboard radius these days and prefer something in 9.5 range

4C3C3E22-0FB8-4D63-9898-483AED040BEA.jpeg

3. friend33

friend33 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Doesn’t have to be super thick, but the minimum for Jazz necks seems to be a Fender med C - I get along fine with the neck on my Player Jazz. (On the other hand, I have to move a Lakland 44-60 on, though, and that one is .79 or less at the first fret.)

Nice lineup, by the way. :cool:

wyleeboxer likes this.
  4. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    No second guessing which is the best looking bass there! :thumbsup: :bassist:

wyleeboxer likes this.
  5. friend33

friend33 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Hunted around, found the neck specs for the RW Flea (scroll down a few pages in the doc). Fairly large taper from frets 1-12:

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/014102_Flea Road Worn Jazz Bass SM REV A 2-10-16.pdf

I learned a trick (I think from tdpri) - when doing a search, type the name of any Fender instrument and then after it add “fmic assets”. The specs and parts page/pdf will pop up at the top of the search. (Most also include wiring diagrams, cap values, other good info.) :cool:

6. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    That is so cool

friend33 likes this.
  7. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Bushwood Caddy Day: 1:00 to 1:15 Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    As of the date of this post, I am down to just this 1 bass.
    Here’s another recent recording. I’m playing the rhythm guitar part, fingerpicking style. The slim neck allows the open G string to ring out like the guitar line without my fingers hitting it. Such a great bass design.

murphy likes this.
  8. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hello, just go a Flea Jazz RW, always wanted to try one of those and have a real "Jazz", I'm not really convinced but first was wondering if the one I got was clean, are the knobs supposed to be like that? I was not expecting the RW to extend to that part

IMG_20210511_102517_2.jpg

9. Hell no.

My knobs do not look like that.

10. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    all is well

I have seen that

Maybe screw down knobs
    or maybe that goes between the upper knob and the lower
    I can check later

11. Ned Bergerstein

Ned Bergerstein

May 12, 2017
    Toronto
    Congrats - glad this worked out for you! One day I hope to share a similar outcome. I'm already on my "last bass" as I previously promised my wife, lol!

murphy likes this.
  12. Hi guys.
    Quick question, has anyone had discoloration of their paint finish.
    The nitro has started to go brown.
    I know nitro finishes change with time but I've only had this bass 3 years and it gets very little use.
    I'd love to restore the paint to its lovely faded shell pink, rather than the "beige" it's becoming.

murphy likes this.
  13. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Can you take some pictures and post them?

14. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    The most essentially important thing I find lacking about the Fender Flea RW Jazz Bass is this:

dennes.jpg

RIP D. Boon

murphy likes this.
  15. kbraker510

kbraker510

Dec 8, 2008
    Mine is starting to look like the color of bad makeup....Brownish pink . Perhaps I will take off the pick guard to see what it looks like underneath.

16. HeartFrequency

HeartFrequency

Apr 21, 2020
    Hey there,

I just received my flea bass and I have the same type of washers under the tone knob, after removing the knobs I could see the washer has a little « dome » which slots in to indentations under the tone knob and makes it click instead of turning smooth.

Now a little question would be, is it possible to remove those metal washers ?

17. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    If you do not like that system...I would just replace with a Volume- volume- tone- jack...4 hole plate and pots

18. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Whose face is in that sticker....not Jonny Rotten...Richard Hell...Joey Ramone...Joe Strummer etc?
    Jello Biafra?

19. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Mike Watt's long lost best friend and bandmate, D. Boon

Our band could be your life
    Real names'd be proof
    Me and mike watt played for years
    Punk rock changed our lives
    We learned punk rock in Hollywood
    Drove up from Pedro
    We were shaging corn dogs
    We'd go drink and pogo
    Mr. Narrator
    This is Bob Dylan to me
    My story could be his songs
    I'm his soldier child
    Our band is scientist rock
    But I was E. Bloom and Richard Hell
    Joe Strummer, and John Doe
    Me and Mike Watt, playing guitar

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021