Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender FMT Jazz or a Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Esoterik, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Esoterik

Esoterik

Jun 20, 2004
    You know I am just curious to know if there is any one here who honestly preffer a Fender Jazz or particularly an FMT 4 string over a Sadowsky 4 string J. Just curious to know..........anyone??

2. A Sadowsky Metro or NYC?

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    If the question was a Fender FMT vs. a comperable Sadowsky model, i think only the NYC shop does figured maple tops, right?

Either way i'd definately prefer any Sadowsky to any Fender(MAYBE not a excellent condition 60's J). Would anyone say this is almost like asking if anyone would want a Skyline JO vs. a USA JO(prices not withstanding)?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I chose this. I've found the 4 strings to be comparable.

[​IMG]

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

I wouldn't. I'd say it was apples to apples... except for the price;)

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Really?

Obviously that FMT is amazing being that its in your stable, but do you think on average that the Fender FMTs are actually of equal build quality and "Out of the Box" playability and tone?

I don't have anywhere NEAR as much experience as you(obviously), but i've played about 25-35 fender Jazzes, but only about 5 Sadowskys(ies?). All the Sadowsky basses rocked in all aspects, but only about 3 or 4 of the Fenders were on the same level (none of them FMTs).

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IME, when I was working at Sam Ash, for the most part, most of the MIA basses came out of the box playing well. Some needed some minor adjustments & they played well, also. Personally, I've yet to play a Fender that rivals either of my NYC Sadowsky basses. This is not a fact set in stone, this is my opinion.

The problem starts when the Minty Fender get put on the wall. Usually, it sits, & sits & get's played & sits & the strings get old & the necks move & it sits & the action becomes unplayable & it sits & you have what alot of people refer to as a "crappy Fender".

The FMT Fender Jazz basses that I've played we not "out of the box fresh" so I played a few notes & put it down. Also, the few that I've seen, the Figure was from just OK, to good, Nothing spectacular. Also, I do remember a few threads on TB when the basses were 1st realeased that some of the necks were bad but I haven't read that lateley & it might of just been a bad batch of necks.

I'd say ALOT of people prefer the Fender over the Sadowsky because Fender sales are ALOT higher then Sadowsky sales. :)

8. Esoterik

Esoterik

Jun 20, 2004

Same here Brad. I've found them to be comparible too. That's why I wanted to know if there were others who thought the same thing. I think the Fender FMT 4 strings are really good J basses and I was really impressed when I recently played one. Then I played a Sadowsky metro 4. It's a good sounding bass too, but I honestly thought the Fender FMT was just as good as the Sadowsky. I know to say something like that may be blasphemy to some on this board. :D

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You like what you like. No harm done. :)

Personally, I like my beat up old Geddy Lee Jazz over any MIA Fender. The neck kicks butt!!!!!! :bassist:

10. To each their own. IME, I have not played a Fender that would rival my Sadowskys (especially the FMT - but then I may have had higher expectations for this Fender and was biased). I've heard really good ones exist, I've just not played one.

You know, either an instruments grabs you or it doesn't. I've wanted to like several different brands that I've heard great things about - Elricks, Bennies, Conklins, Smiths and even many Foderas - but they just didn't do it for me when I played them. I'm glad others like them as those luthiers help keep the standards high and allow us more flexibility and options.

Oh, and one other thing - I think it may be blasphemy to some on this board to tell them a Sadowsky is a better instrument than a Fender! :D

Jeff

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I looked at the title, and made a face that's a mixture of the eyes of this: :eyebrow: and the mouth of this: :eek: . I'd definitely go with the Sadowsky, no question (this is ALL IMO, of course). With Sadowsky, you pay for what you get. Fender...ehh. Are the FMT basses USA? The FMT guitars are all Korean-made, I thought.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I don't place out of the box pressure on many of my bass purchases. I like really low action and I can't think of many basses brand new set up the way I really like them. I also realize how temporary that out of the box setup actually is;)

Funny thing is that while I typically prefer a very low setup I keep the FMT a little higher so I can dig in even harder if I want. I do the same with my F Bass Studio 5. It's still very effortless to play.

I've gone over my FMT with a fine toothed comb over the couple of years I've owned it. If there's something better than what appears to be a flawless finish, great fretjob and most of all excellent live Fender Jazz sound... I've yet to hear it. My favorite "Jazz vibe" basses are still Fenders:D

I can't count the number of times I've had people come up to me at a gig and express amazement that a Fender could sound that good.

Think about that... a lot of people wouldn't believe ANY Fenders could be on the same level;)

IMO it's not really about how much experience someone has, it's about what you like. For some, Sadowsky pushes all of their buttons. Very understandable. For me, finding something better, let alone a heck of a lot better in a J bass vein than what I purchased is a pretty tall order. Too tall so far;)

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

My modded MIJ 75 Jazz Reissue is pretty ridiculous.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    AFAIK the FMT and QMT basses are MIA.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

It's harmless blasphemy IMO:D. We all like what we like. Some of us want everyone else to like what we like too;)

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Granted, the figure on mine isn't spectacular. OTOH it's not too shabby for under $1500 new;)

[​IMG]

I recall Munji's was pretty sweet.

17. ^ Thats a beauty. One of my dream basses is a AmDeluxe Jazz FMT Maple/Pearloid blocks and Tobacco Sunburst. It sould kinda look a little wierd in a rock band though wouldn't it?

[​IMG]

18. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    imo I think it does depend on experience/tecnique/ability and whatelse, to choose the "right" gear! I mean, back in the years I've owned Fender, Sadowsky, Fodera, KenSmith, MTD...(not to mention amplifiers!) but I had bad control on my tecnique/sound, I was always complaining about the sound I was geting and I spent a lot of money in gear... Now, after years of practicing and playing experience (I still need to practice and improve, that's for sure :D ) I'm back with the simplest gear because I have more control and experience how to get my sound! At a certain point doesn't really matter what gear you use, but what you get out of itself (and how you feel with it). In my career in the music world, I saw musicians playing with the crappiest stuff and sounding fantastic!
    I don't know if I make any sense, but this it what I feel.
    To get back to this thread, I think Fender are "ok" instrument, but not great. The hardware is bad and the consistency on the quality vary too much.
    Just my experience!

Thanks!

Mo'

19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    by the way, this is one of the best looking Fender I have ever saw!

Aloha

Mo'

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ohhh, ok. I can see the FMTs being possible competition for a Metro or maaaaybe an NYC.