1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Folks: Are MIM Basses improving?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It seems to me that MIM basses are consistently better lately. I know the last Jazz V and a maple board Jazz I played today are put together and sound as good as many MIA Fenders I have played. My guess is that MIM Fenders are better to keep up with all of the nice Squiers coming out.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yes... and they've actually been pretty good for a few years now IMO. But I know basses may need to be set up for my personal tastes so I never hold that against a new (to me) instrument.
    :cool:

3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Yup. Another good era has begun. Think the mark is 2008-09 and up for MIM and MIA and an additional 2012+ for MIA standards now offering custom shop pickups as a default. Glad Fender stepped up their game. Those Squiers (Classic Vibes in particular) were right up there with a non-lemon Fenders pre-'08.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Nope, they are the same as they always were.... great...

I am sure in 2020 the new crops of TBers will be saying things like "These new 2020 Fenders are way better than the garbage they made 10 years ago"

Fender always was and always will be great.

5. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    theres only been about a half a dozen threads on this subject over the past couple weeks/month....use the search.
    answer to the OP, yes.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've never been down on Fender, but the last two MIM Jazzes I have played are great. The five was $696 and the four wad $599. Both played nicely and had fit and finish on par with MIA Fenders I have played.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dude, I'll start a thread if I want to. No one made you read it.

That said, it's good to know others are noticing an improvement too.

8. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    hey i wasnt trying to offend, calm down all i meant was there is a ton of info on this.....search it and combine it with whats added to yours.....geesh! :eyebrow:

i just bought two 2012 MIMs and they are both incredible!!

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OK, I am not on TB quite as much as before and missed those threads. Doing a search is always a good idea.

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i turned my '99 MIM Jazz V into a gem with a shim, a Dremel Kit, and a thorough set-up!:hyper:

i used the Dremel to grind the saddle's down just enough for "super low" action.:bassist:

11. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Only if in 2020 Fenders permanently use Pau Ferro in place of rosewood, somehow rid of the dead-spot without changing it's design, and include a feature that keeps sh*tty gui****s from doing awful shred-wanking with a "S.T.F.U." pull/push knob.

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    TB is full of catch 22's. If you start a new thread you're told to do a search. If you do a search and revive a thread, you shouldn't have.

13. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've played a few MIM P basses lately. It's like anything else.....they have gotten better, they play good....but when you find "that" one it's like "whoa!!" Tried a red MIM Standard P bass with a maple neck that played every bit as good as the MIJ P bass I bought a few months ago. I was very, very impressed with how it handled. If I didn't buy the MIJ when I did I no doubt would have bought that MIM.

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    This is all too true. I've done searches and revived threads about certain subjects and invariably, someone chimes in to say, "holy zombie thread!" As though the information might have changed in a year or two.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    True. I just ignore people who mention it... fairly pointless and adds nothing to the discussion. It assumes a search wasn't made or that there's some big deal about reviving and old but IYO relevant thread.

Don't want to answer the question or add anything to the discussion? Then don't.
    :meh:

16. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    yes. very.

17. The MIM P Bass I picked up is amazing. In the past, I was generally underwhelmed by MIM stuff.

18. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Both my jazzes are MIM. One stock and one I admittedly pimped out. But I think the only way to get a better Fender bass would be cusom shop.

19. I played a MIM P at the corner store, not sure of the model but it was Fiesta Red with an anodized gold-ish PG that had holes in it for a tug bar and maple fretboard. The action was super low with no buzz and the fretwork was spot on. It changed my mind about MIM Fenders (after being burned by a nasty Strat once) enough that I ended up with one (the much hated reverse Jag). It's flawless.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Although I still don't think the MIMs are on par with the MIAs, I agree that the gap has closed considerably as of late - definitely becoming a "diminishing returns" sort of thing...

I also agree to the possibility that Squier raised their bar high enough so that the MIMs had to get with the program in order to sell...

- georgestrings