Fender frankenbass - Japanese body/Mexican neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayincaspe, May 14, 2019.

1. bassplayincaspe

bassplayincaspe

May 23, 2010
    I have a bass that I was told has a MIJ body and pickups and a MIM neck. The neck is definitely MIM as the serial number is MN4129343, which makes the build year 1994-1995 according to the Fender website. Is there a serial number somewhere on the body (in the cavity perhaps? ) that would identify when and where the body was made? red jazz bass #1.jpg red jazz bass #2.jpg red jazz bass #3.jpg

2. Wrong side of TB...

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Meaning you posted this in the double bass (upright bass) section. The mods should be able to move it for you.

4. bassplayincaspe

bassplayincaspe

May 23, 2010
    Thank you.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    By the bridge and knobs I'd say Squier body. Could be a mishmash of hardware tho. Do you like the bass? That's the only important question.

6. bassplayincaspe

bassplayincaspe

May 23, 2010
    It's okay. Not my favorite of my three Jazz basses. Trying to get an idea of the value of the bass.

7. With the photos you provided the body could be a lot of things. Could you take a photo of the body facing the camera rather than at an angle?

One thing you might look for is that some Japanese Fender bodies have a stamped code in the neck pocket...something like "JB-123". I've not seen a Japanese body with a serial number on it but it's not impossible.

A lot of MIM bodies have an indexing hole under the pickguard that's around 1/2" to under 3/4" in diameter. A lot of people call that the "stash hole". If the body is MIM it should also have a date stamp in the neck pocket.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021