1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Fretless MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prbass, Oct 3, 2008.

1. prbass

prbass

May 1, 2008
    McGregor, TX
    Hi Guys I just got my new Fender std jazz fretless. When I opened the box I noticed that the action was really high so I started to get picky and noticed that the neck was bowed and the strings where the nut is where crusted in the wood. I thought that was defective so I am planning to return it. My biggest fear is that since the fingerboard have the carved wood from the strings making pressure on it it could crack in the future. But this is my first fretless and I don't know if thats how is suppose to be. Are the fretless suppose to be bowed? Is this a defect from all the MIM? What should I be looking for when buying a fretless? Is anybody selling a good quality fender fretless? Can somebody help me? I will appreciate your feedback

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Maybe a little truss rod adjustment?

=wr=

3. prbass

prbass

May 1, 2008
    McGregor, TX
    I thought about it but I paid a brand new bass and also have the strings carved in the wood. Also the strings made a hole in the fretboard by the nut.

4. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    Return it

5. prbass

prbass

May 1, 2008
    McGregor, TX
    so the fretless bass shouldnt be bowed at all right? Pardon my ignorace but Ive never had a fretless before. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for in a fretless?

6. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
  7. bluesrx

bluesrx Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Almost all of MIM fretless bass have file markings on the headstock side of the nut...not sure why ( probably to get the action low enough ) I've had a few a these basses and they've all been that way.

Truss rod adjustment should take care of the bow in the neck.

8. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have a nice MIA Fender Fretless posted in the classifieds.

9. prbass

prbass

May 1, 2008
    McGregor, TX
    So these file markings on the headstock side of the nut are pretty common? I was searching for pics on fretless basses but none of them have those(at least I couldn't tell)