Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Frontman 15-B. does it suck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassIsBest, Jul 22, 2000.

1. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Hey fellas and betties. Compared to you guys, I am poor when it comes to Basses and equipment, but I'm tryin anyway. My question concerns the only amp I currently own, a practice amp called a Fender Frontman 15B. It puts out pretty good sound on my EADG strings, but when I hit my low B, it snaps, crackles and pops. It won't thump my B at all. Can these small amps just not handle the lower notes? Is it my bass? Do I need a bigger more powerful amp, or does my amp just suck? > [​IMG]

PS. what amp or combo do you guys recommend?

------------------
    4 U

2. my guess is its the speaker. i'm not really surprized that a 15w amp cant handle a low b. you'd need like a 12" or 15" to handle it.

3. It's the amp. But it's not a case of the amp 'sucking'. The 15b is a cheap practice amp. It just will not handle a low B. It is not built to.

Andy

4. Andy is right. The amp doesn't "suck"; it just is not designed for what you do.

You should get a more powerful amp (either a combo or a head / cab setup) with either 2x10's or a 15" speaker. There are many brands out there so figure out how much you can spend and go and try them out.

Happy hunting - John

5. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Thanks guys, for all the input. What type of a more powerful amp would you recommend for around 4-500$? Is that reasonable? Like you said, I need a 15 inch speaker or one with 2x10's. What should I get? { [​IMG] !

------------------
    4 U

6. Ampeg BA115..I have the 112, which is a 12" speaker. The 115 has a 15".

Andy

7. I recommend a Hartke combo amp. They're great. A lot of local groups use them. Try the 1415 combo. You can get the for $450 at www.zzounds.com

-willz

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I got the Ampeg BA-115 new for 350+tax.Great amp!The 112 is pretty much the same but with a smaller speaker and less power.The dealer didnt have the 112 in stock for comparison but i think the added power is a plus.Good luck!

9. Don't overlook the used market. You can pick up a fairly recent Peavey Combo 115 or Combo 210 TX for that kind of money (210 watts - 300 watts with an external speaker).

Again, the best thing for you to do is to go and try out different amps.

John

10. I agree with John--you will get a much higher quality used amp then you will a new amp. You just have to be careful--make sure it works good before you buy!

Woof-Man Out

11. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I'll agree with Andy and Bernie, if your looking for a combo, the BA-115 or BA-112 are nice sounding amps. Don't forgot to try the SWR Workingman 12 and 15's. These are equally as good. IMO, these are the best combos for under or around $500.

12. Strangle me for bringing up a 13 year old thread if you want, but I didn't want to start a new one.
    To expound upon this question, I happen to have this same amp. The 8" speaker is crappy, thin, and flimsy. Also, when I crank the volume, the air rushes through the sealed cab in a not-so-pleasant way. Would it be enough to build a seperate cab and just use the amp, or does the circuitry need changed? I think it has an internal limiter, but I haven't found anything about it online, and I can't tell over the sound of the speaker huffing. Also, is it normal for this amp to pick up noises when you touch the ground on the input?

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why is it that new guys resurrect zombie Threads. It's considered "bad form" by many here.

The OP has had the all intervening years to correct his problem so the whole thread is no longer relevant.

If you have a question by all means start a new thread . We relish helping our brothers and sisters with their problems.

14. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I think they are using the "search" option.

15. Bingo. This was the only thread that held any relevence to my search. The reason I didn't start a new topic is because I didn't want to appear redundant. I guess I will go ahead and do so next time...