Fender FSR Deluxe Ash Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herbygardener, May 21, 2017.

1. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Hi gang,

Fender Musical Instruments - FSR Deluxe Ash Jazz Bass Guitar - Natural

Hoping that this does not become a Yaa Fender Jazz or Boo Fender Jazz thread.
    I'm currently gassing pretty badly for one of these beauties and am looking for feedback anyone has about what they like or don't like about them. I have messed around briefly on a couple in store, not amped up yet, and have found them to be pretty comfy. Definitely a different feel than my '87 Warwick Streamer.
    Thinking I may rent one for a month to test drive it. Ultimately I'm searching for a used one, so if ya've got one collecting dust, lemme know.
    Thanks for your input in advance.
    Cheers!

2. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Just got thru the whole 41 page Fender FSR thread and it did nothing to quell my GAS.
    I noticed that several folks change the bridge and Pups; is that mainly personal preference or is there a bridge/Pup 'issue'?

3. Matches

Matches

Mar 17, 2012
    Portland, Or
    I own one of these and it is an awesome bass. I just wish the action on mine was a little bit lower but maybe due to the action, I get a piano like tone from it that I love. I added a Badass III and Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups to it as well. No bridge pup issue at all, just a preferance.

4. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    These have been around for over years, if I remember correctly, they were first issued in '03, in both a P and a J configuration ... they are without a doubt the longest running FSR that Fender has ever offered ... several years ago, the P was eliminated, and it is now only available as a Jazz ... the very first few years of these, they came with a white pickguard, Fender changed to tort around '05/6 range ...

I now notice that Fender has changed the name, to Special Edition Deluxe Ash Jazz Bass, and raised the price over $200 from the $499 it sold for over the last several years ... at that price, its value is questionable vs. other Fender options, especially in the used market ... what the price increase does do, is to allow GC's to advertise them at a sale price ($599), which is still $100 more than what they were selling for, without a single change to the instrument, other than the name ... with the name change, they also seem to be attempting to eliminate the FSR moniker that thas been attached to it, although it will likely continue to be referred to as the FSR by the public, even though the headstock label has always called it a 'Special Edition' from day one ...

With regards to components, it has utilized the exact same electronics and hardware as all other MIM Standards since its inception, the only differences being the ash body, and the neck/headstock did not receive the new logo/tinting that the other MIM Standards received mid '08 ... so, if you would be changing things such as pups/hardware/etc on a MIM Standard you purchased, you would likely do the same on one of these ... with that said, I have owned probably 3-4 of the Jazz's, and at least a couple of the P's over the years, including some of the very first run back in early days ... I have never found pups or hardware to be an 'issue needing replacement', as long as you realize they are an inexpensive, yet completely functional hardware pkg, and ceramic magnet pickups ... beyond that, it becomes a subjective matter of preferences and if one likes to tinker ... on all that I have owned, I think I only changed one component, and that was to another simple bent plate bridge, only with threaded saddles to allow for string spacing experimentation ...

... the only caveats to someone considering a purchase, is that if the weight is a consideration, the ones I had were very inconsistent, in the 7+lb range all the way to over 10 lbs ... the grain matching on some of the bodies has always been a bit of a [email protected] as well ...

I sold all of mine in the $300 range, and at that price they were a very good value, but then again, they are simply a MIM Standard with different aesthetics ...

.. as always, JMHO's ... ;)

MC Nugget likes this.
  5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Your link was to long and McQuade
    That post is says it all.

I noticed the OP's link was to long and McQuade so you're in Canada. MIM basses can be had on the used market aplenty for $400 or less. $1000 is a hell of a premium to pay for aesthetics. You can buy a used American Standard for that much.

I'm not a big fan of MIM pickups but I've heard YouTube recordings that sound great.

6. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Is it possible that the action is somewhat high due to the BA III? I had one on my P bass and couldn't get the action low enough for my liking so I replaced it with an original bent metal bridge.

mexicant likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Exactly, the price has to be considered for what your getting. Factory Special Run? Please, that's just about as accurate as a Ford LTD.
    It's a decent Jazz bass but if I had to spend that kind of money I'd buy a true special-edition Jazz bass.

f1fucj.jpg

8. herbygardener

herbygardener HerbyG

Oct 28, 2013
    A Rock in the Pacific
    Great feedback folks, as per usual.
    "Factory Special Run? Please, that's just about as accurate as a Ford LTD." -jd56hawk, that's a great perspective.
    I have been looking at used MIM, but man, I'm a sucker for that clear ash body. I can see it with a black pick guard and all black hardware, mmm, mmm, mmmm! I guess that brings the Marcus Miller Signature into the mix as well.
    I would obviously much rather be in the $400 range than the $1000 range...there's something extra satisfying about finding that sweet deal!
    Thankfully I tend to be a slow mover when I come down with a bad case of GAS; I usually take my time and do my research.
    Your input is much appreciated!
    Cheers!

jd56hawk likes this.
  9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    WHOA! I just saw the price in your link for this. I had one that was stolen shortly after I purchased it new, and it was around $575! Nice bass for that price, so over $700 U.S. is quite a mark up!

10. Matches

Matches

Mar 17, 2012
    Portland, Or
    The bridge could be the culprit for the action but I'm happy with everything else and the action isn't horrible. I bought mine in 2012 through GC and it was an American Standard. After a few more gigs and saving some money, I may look for the P-bass counterpart to the jazz. Ironically, I have a spar Badass III that I could put on it as well but first, I have to find the FSP P-bass.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  11. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    That's when you shim the neck.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  12. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic Designer: Yorkville Sound
    Put on some of my personal preferences, standard issue D'Addario XL Half Wounds, turned this baby into one of the warmest and most vintage sounding basses I have ever played. Tones are organic and woody, oh so sweet! It's a great complement to my custom hybrid kali-koa bodied P/J+ bass. 51418D9F-5242-4670-9E8E-FB96AF62C0CE.jpeg

phillipkregg likes this.
  13. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    If you can't do it yourself, a good tech can give a perfect action on any bass. Having an action you DON'T think is perfect is a waste.

14. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Personally, I LOVE these jazz basses.

I've played a couple after gassing over some Fender Roadworns, a couple of Sadowskys, some vintage Fenders, and a Bluesman Vintage relic'd bass.

All those instruments were great, but quite honestly, this new Fender ash limited run was my favorite of them all. The neck feels killer - thin and easier to play than most jazz basses I've ever played no matter the price, the pickups and tone control all sound great.. it can be warm and punchy fingerstyle tones or bright and ready for slapping. I've also compared them to the new MIM Players series and the ash one just felt and played better overall to me.

It's a winner as far as I'm concerned.

warwicktor likes this.
  15. Frankle

Frankle

Dec 4, 2016
    Binghamton, NY
    I have one, and the neck is awesome. I measured the neck thickness with calipers and it measures .82" at the first fret, and .88" at the 12th fret. It plays fast. I'm not sure what the neck shape is. Thin C? I don't think it's a modern C, as my MIM Jaguar has a modern C and the FSR Jazz feels different.

16. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I had one of these and sold it. Worst mistake I've ever made.

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I bought a Fender MIM Jazz and a MIM P bass both with a BA bridge. while the action was low enough, I couldn't get it as low as another Jazz bass I had with a standard bridge. So yes, it's the bridge.

18. aardvark2300

aardvark2300

Feb 15, 2020
    Just bought one of these - since Fender has announced no more Ash bodies, thought it was time grab one. Mine was really nice - looks like a single piece of wood with no seams. They are no longer on Fenders web site (at least I couldn't find them). Had to buy it sight unseen from Guitar Center and they really put me through the wringer on shipment during the worse of the pandemic - a truly miserable experience of unfulfilled commitments with my order bouncing around from store to store.
    I love the neck - as an earlier poster stated maybe it's a "Thin C"? I can't find anywhere that Fender really stated anything about the neck profile. Anybody have that information?

GrapeBass likes this.