1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Fullerton 62 Precisions - Current Values

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Alien, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I am on the fence about possibly throwing my 62 Fullerton P for sale. What might sway me is where the market is right now. All parts on mine (except the pickup which is a late 80's 62 P pickup) are correct for the bass. Neck and body are both dated Jan of 1983. No case candy and the case is a tweed one but not Fullerton case. No case candy. So basically an all original Fullerton P in sunburst with a replacement pickup and case. Thoughts? This thread will sway me one way or another. Here is a photo. In the photo is is with a period correct case but I do not have that I have a newer one that looks just like that one.

Front.

Bod.

Back.

2. Maybe in the $1500 range? I haven't seen any sell recently so it's tough for me to say. I know most don't sell for over $1500 these days unless all original and clean and even then it seems like $1800 is max.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It's hard to say right now. I think a clean all original burst Fullerton 62 is worth around $1800.00 (top end) right now. A clean original custom color maybe 2k. It seems like the Fullerton 57s are a little more valuable than the 62s, and the Fullerton Js are the most valuable. I'd say a clean original burst 62 J is worth maybe 2k and custom colors a bit more. Obviously non-original pieces are going to be worth less. These are not fire sale prices, but reasonable prices for the seller who is not in too big of a hurry.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Don't do it! Hold on to it. You'll thank yourself later, I'm sure. Fullerton RIs in that kind of shape are getting harder and harder to come by. Not to mention what nice players they are. ;)

Unless you're really hurting for cash and don't have anything else you could sell, I say keep it and play it. Lovingly/carefully, but play the thing.

5. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, Johnny,

The bottom line is than it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. With that said, IMO in the current market a clean unmodified sunburst V00xxxx P with the original case case should fetch around $2K, somewhat more if all the original case candy and covers were included.

If I was in the market, I'd probably deduct a couple hundred $ for the later Fender/G&G tweed case. Fullerton tweed cases are hard to come by and decent ones are very pricey nowadays.

An "under the bed since new" mint example Fullerton or one with a custom color would, of course, fetch more $$. I'd rather have one that has been played but I'm much more of a player than a collector. I do appreciate the uniqueness and the vibe that the Fullerton reissues have. In 1983 I bought a new sunburst Fullerton '57 P and a Vintage White '62 J and wish I had hung onto them. Thankfully I still have a 3-digit '57 P and a Fullerton '62 Strat that is hands-down THE best Strat I've ever played, period.

A fellow local TB'er has a similar Fullerton '62 sunburst Precision with the original case that has been on the market for the past few months at $2300 with no takers. I'd probably be a buyer at/below the $2000 mark as would others, IMO. But a year from now, $2300 may look like a bargain...who knows?

I am not an expert by any means and the above comments are just my opinion based on what I've seen advertised the past year or so. I do think (hope!) that once the economy is back to normal, the prices on nice Fullerton guitars and basses will escalate considerably! ;)

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

The first three years 1982-1985, are the most sought after.
    The are in the $2000-$2500 price range.
    Prices start to go down after that.
    Late 80's to 90's, are in the $1800-2000 range.
    Anything in the 2000's $1500-$1800 range.

7. Thanks guys. I agree that over $2000 for any Sunburst Fullerton P is too much. I think the regal Mr. Biscuit nailed it with $1800 for a clean original burst. I think that puts me in the ballpark of $1500 for a replaced pickup and case. Both are replaceable...although this had a refret (a good one from Dolan) so that may put it closer to $1400. Refrets IMO are maintenance and will need to happen to any vintage bass that you play BUT that may affect the price. I might think of selling if I could get close to $1500 but I will have to think on it.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    These days $1200-$1500 is what you would probably get, probably "closer" to the low end of that range.

That being said, there's no real harm in throwing it up on Ebay with a $1500 or $1600 "Buy It Now" price and seeing if someone is gassin' for it enough.

:)

9. I think 1500$ max there was a 57 if the classifieds, fullerton 82 i believe at 1500$ it took awhile to sell and who knows what it sold for in the end. I think selling it here would take awhile i would list it at 1599$ buy it now on ebay and see what happens.

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I agree with the later assessments, i.e. $1500 tops in this market.

Beautiful bass, BTW. You'll regret selling it if it's anything like the Fullertons I've played and the one I own.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I miss playing my Fullerton Jazz, but with a ski-ramped and split neck it just sits in the closet. It was an awesome player and has been played a ton of miles, spider-web checked and worn finish looks like a real 60's worn bass, but everything is 100% original:
    original fullerton case
    chrome covers
    felt mute set
    fullerton owners manual

I even thought about parting it out, but don't think I can bring myself to doing it. Still thinking of slapping a 70's fretless P neck on her and trucking on.

12. I'll have to see. I don't really want to get rid of it but at the same time it is a great bass that is getting very little play time right now and there is better places I could stick the extra $1000 plus. I am thinking of selling it and just getting a beater for my upcoming summer shows. Maybe a cheap Highway 1 or something.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Man, I've seen those early 80's ones going on Ebay for insane prices! Like $2500-3500...at least that's what the sellers are offering.

I think that's kinda high considering you could get a real (maybe not all original) 60's P for around that much.

Beautiful bass though!

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Going for, but not selling at!

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Too true :smug:

Great buyer's market right now...

16. Even in a hot market I am not sure I ever saw a Sunburst 62 Precision sell for more than $2000.

17. looper

looper

Apr 11, 2006
    MPLS
    It's been many month's now but I bought a 82' 62' RI, on xmas eve at 11:59 PM from a guy named Jesus off of flea bay ( no lie ) for around $1300 in pretty amazing condition. I felt like I got a good deal, not to mention a gift from Jesus! Your does look really nice!! Do an advanced search on the bay for 62' RI's and it will give you the last month of sales for some perspective.

18. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing: 1964 Ears, LLC.
    :)