Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by macduff, Oct 28, 2000.

1. macduff

macduff

Oct 25, 2000
    I've been reading some info about fender heads and cabinets and i'd like to hear people'e opinions on the subject. I've heard the new bassman series is good, but what about the older stuff? Is it good value? Or are there better brands in the same price range?
    thanks

2. Here's an opinion...

The older 60's and 70's Fender bass gear sounds good but is heavily underpowered for the weight. A 70's bassman 135 watt tube head and 2x15 cab gives an amazing sound...but is just not, IMO, loud enough.

The BXR range is, with the exception of the BXR 25 practice amp, unusable junk. Though, there was a BXR400 at one time that I have never tried, and which got a reasonably good press. The rest does not cut it when compared with the Trace Elliots, Ampegs, Sunns and what have you of this world.

The new Bassman range is a departure from the norm. I find it first rate. I use a Bassman 100 1x15 combo which serves me well. The bassman 400 is an excellent amp in combo format, and I don't see why this wouldn't transfer to the head/cab setup.