1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass pickguard replacement with truss rod slot.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ephminus, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Specifically I'm looking for a black pickguard with a truss rod adjustment slot that will fit my Fender "Geddy Lee" Jazz bass.

Searching for anything related to Geddy Lee Jazz basses on here is a major headache.

I found a few threads that offered some website suggestions, but the ones that I've checked either don't offer what I'm looking for or the website just plain doesn't exist anymore.

I've also checked various parts suppliers and came up with nothing.

2. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Thanks for the compliment on the bass!
    It's pretty much all I play now.
    You must be a very wise person....

Anyway,
    I checked that site already, I'm looking for a pickguard that already has the truss rod slot cut out already.
    But thanks anyway!

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I got a black PG on Ebay for like $20 shipped. It would be quite simple to dremel out the truss rod section...maybe try it first on your white one to make a stencil of the shape u need to cut out. As far as I know, there aren't any with the space cut out for you already made.

4. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I've actually done that to my white pickguard already.
    It was a fairly simple modification, I would just prefer to get one that's exactly what I want in the first place.
    I just don't want to get a brand new pickguard and potentially screw it up.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    If you've already done it, then you know what to do! Just take your time and go slow. You won't screw it up - if you know any guitar techs, maybe have them drill it out for you pro-style and they can charge you a lot.

But as far as a Geddy PG w/ the TR hole already drilled...good luck on your search! :p

6. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Yeah, I'm starting to think I'll be doing another mod soon.

I just figured if I was spending the money on a pickguard already, just get one that is exactly what I want.

7. think the american standard j-plate from WD music has the truss rod notch already, but not sure if the screw placements and precise dimensions are identical or not.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm pretty sure the screw placement is different for the US jazz. Not sure if it just doesn't line up, but you may have to do more drilling than you would want to

9. hrpufinstuf

hrpufinstuf

Feb 28, 2009
    Uxbridge, ON
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If I'm not mistaken, Fender intended that the neck be removed for truss rod adjustments if the adjustment happens at the heel end of the neck. Every old Fender bass you see has the pickguard boogered up there, but in situ adjustments were never Fender's intention.

11. sal4bass

sal4bass

Feb 3, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I think you are correct, but I find it frustrating. Why would Fender design a bass that requires the removal of the neck for a simple truss rod tweak? My 1993 Fender '62RI Jazz is the same way and I pay a tech to do the work because I am paranoid about taking off the neck.

I am considering getting a Geddy Lee Jazz, but the neck removal issue is the thing that has caused me to avoid a purchase of a Geddy Lee to date.

Is it easy to do without injury to the bass?

12. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    You don't need to remove the neck on a Geddy though you *will* end up putting a very shallow gouge in the area in front of the screw. No loss, in my opinion. Just take a black Sharpie and the area will look fine.

Regarding the pickguard, I did this modification myself. I used my dremel with the cone-shaped sander attachment, took a deep breath, and did it. I used one of my wife's emery boards as a template so I could keep the lines straight and get a nice round end. A popsicle stick would be just as good. Turned out great!

13. sal4bass

sal4bass

Feb 3, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Thanks for the clarification. Do you have a pic of the mod you made?

14. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19

Sadly, no. I thought about "documenting" the process but then I got antsy and just did it. I'm getting close to leaving for a week so it would be a little while if you still wanted one.

But really it just looks like a Jazz with a truss rod route. I can tell you that the reason I went with an emery board is that it was exactly as wide as I needed for the screwdriver. I didn't want to remove more material than I had to. The length is just under an inch but I kind of over-engineered it... 3/4" would have been fine to still lay the screwdriver as flat as possible.

15. sal4bass

sal4bass

Feb 3, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Purchased a used Geddy Lee this week. Beautiful bass! Fender has done a nice job as it reminds me a great deal of the 1973 Fender Jazz I used to own.

The previous owner had already done the truss rod pickguard access mod, so I am in good shape.

Thanks again for the info. Merry Christmas! :)