1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tjnkoo, Jun 28, 2012.

1. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    I know there's been threads on this bass before, but none that seem up to date. I'm looking for a companion to my 04' MIM jazz that I've fixed up to mock a 60's jazz (Aguilar 60's p/u, already has 60's spacing, etc). I read the Geddy Lee is modeled after his 72' Jazz, so how close is it? I've heard audio clips, and it sounds pretty aggressive and such, which are good things in my eyes. Also I've found quite a few used in the $500 range. So what do you guys think of it?

2. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    I wouldn't say the bass sounds aggressive at all, really.

As to how close to Geddy lee's it is, who knows? His bass tech said on here that geddy's has a problem with the rear pickup that makes it sound more like his Ric.

It wasn't for me, I struggle with passive basses in general, and with jazzes in a band situation.

So i sold mine, but the best thing to do is try one.

The build quality was very good, to be fair to it, and I've had worse MIA Fenders in my time. For €500, its a decent bass

3. BMBassman

BMBassman

Jul 16, 2010
    I've gotta say, I LOVE mine. It seems to work for a wide range of songs. I tried other other basses to avoid paying Fender money. When enough people called me out on my sound, I got my Geddy (used) at a reasonable price. The sound is great, from 'classic' R&B style fender to a more agressive growl, but the neck is the true distinguishing factor to me. They say Geddy's guitar has a modified (thinner) neck, and the Fender tribute honors that. I know it's appreciably thinner (and 'faster') than any other Fender, and it's hard for me to put it down.

4. Gotta echo BMBassman. How I came across buying mine is a bit of an odd story though...I bought it for its looks. Way back in 1976 when I first picked up the bass at 13, I bought a $90 Fender Jazz bass copy (Cortez brand). It was black with a white pickguard and maple neck with the black block inlays. After a couple of years learning how to play on it, I bought a Kramer 650-B in 1978 and that became my primary bass for the next 33 years. I sold that Cortez in 1980 to a friend.

Last year I started feeling a bit nostalgic and found myself wishing I had never sold it. It was my first bass! Looking through a catalog I saw that Geddy Lee bass. It looked just like my old $90 piece of junk bass and I had to have it for nostalgia reasons. Well, unbeknownst to me, I fell in love with it. The multirange tone I was able to get out of it and that neck! I love it and it has become my absolute favorite bass. My Kramer and Jacksons get very little play these days. I love that Geddy Lee so much that I bought an Aerodyne and Jazz V for its companions. Though I use those two basses, they can't beat out my Geddy for primary spot.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have a 1973 Jazz (black, maple with black blocks) and it does sound like a Geddy Lee Signature.

I had both at once and my '73 is a but more agressive and fuller sounding, but close (Better IMO, but I paid a fortune for the '73, so maybe I am biased!). Same spacing, etc.

My GL or my '73 do not SOUND like Geddy's playing though. I can get close, but he has different style. If I dime my vol/treble/bass and play in my usual agressive way, I can nail his La Villa tone. Not all of his tones though.

6. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I have a 2000 Geddy Lee and I still love it. I bought it years ago as NOS, when the local Mars Music store went into liquidation because the whole chain went bankrupt. It delivers what I want from a good quality passive J-Bass, and that's the reason I bought mine.