Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz vs. ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny5, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Wondering if you guys could help me out.
    I bought a Geddy Lee Jazz about 3 weeks ago, kind of jumping the gun, not really playing many other makes/models. I really like Jazz and the neck on the Geddy is exceptional. I've got a week left before the return policy expires to see if I want to keep it.
    So..
    Are there any other basses out there that I should maybe consider for the same price? I played a Yamaha before and liked it quite a bit, maybe the BB614? Others?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Nobody is going to be able to tell you what you like. Just go to the store you bought it from and play anything and everything that sparks your interest. If you happen to find one that you like more than the Geddy Lee, than return it. Good luck in your search.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think you should keep it, but you could always think about getting a Precision.

4. No wonder folk complain about guitar stores! You've had a bass for three weeks. It's now used. There is nothing wrong with it but you would consider going back to the store and changing it for something else. Some poor sod then gets the Geddy Lee that goodness knows how many folk have played on for an ideterminate period of time. As I say, no wonder people complain about the standard of instruments in stores. Many of them have obviously been well used!

Your original question would suggest that you aren't going to be happy until you've tried everything. If the neck is exceptional on the Geddy keep it!

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I'm confused. You bought the bass and found the neck exceptional but want our advice on whether or not you should trade it? In your place I would ask myself two things. Do I like the playabilty and the sound. If I answer both then I am keeping it.

Personally imho there is no better bass out there for the money. It is absolutely the biggest bang for that buck.

6. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    So many threads on Geddy bass... do you want a pat on the back for listening to everyone on TB? Alright, just kidding. If you don't have a jazz bass, it's a staple for bass players and studio work IMO.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You might want to check out a Jaguar. same neck profile, cheap bridge, same pups with a nice active/passive setup, close to the same price.

8. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Far be it from me to undeservedly slap down a fellow bassist and snowback, and my apologies are due in advance if this is the perception given by my words...But I will state this:

...That your subjective experience, personal reflexes and endurance have far more to do with whether an instrument sounds 'good' to your ear or not, and are the only criterion by which to pass judgement.

I own, among other instruments, a GL Jazz...Purchased on a day when I had no intention whatsoever of purchasing an instrument.
    That instrument, played casually, spoke to me...Someone who had no use at all for a Fender in over 2 decades, and refused the kool-aid whenever offered.

Every GL Jazz that I have played since then has been a variation on that siren song, in terms of playability and workmanship.
    If my GL Jazz was lost or stolen, I would replace it with little fear that I would never regain what I have obtained with it.

Thus, in my opinion which may have no relevance to you whatsoever, you have chosen a tool which can serve you well.
    You may find, as I have, other tools which do the job as well.
    Comparisons between other makes are useless...All they have in common is your touch.

But if you have owned this instrument for 3 weeks and you are still unsure of it...This may be more of an issue within the realms of self-confidence in your own comparative abilities.

Only you can decide what is right.

9. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    Points well taken, I appreciate all the honesty especially. I tend to put aside subjectivity in lieu of technical considerations, especially when it comes down to what the community of pros (or people with experience) might say.
    Without actually openly saying it (which I probably should've, thus saving your time) I was implying if anyone could think of any necks comparable to that of the GL Jazz that I might be able to find useful.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The new Fender Jaguar has the same neck. It depends on if you like a retro look with a more modern sound.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Nope. None. The Geddy neck is a one of a kind, if you like it and you like the sound - keep the Geddy.

12. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Actually Lug, Fender has said that they based the GL Sig. off of Ged's bass which has an original neck profile due to modification. The Jag may have a close neck, but not the same. The "magic" of the GL is that unique neck.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

From Fender site

Jag bass neck:
    1-Piece Maple, Thin “C” Shape,
    (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)

Geddy Lee bass neck:
    1-Piece Maple, Thin “C” Shape,
    (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)

Plus I have a jaguar and have played many geddy's, the neck profiles are the same. The difference is Jag as "aged" block poistion markers. They also share the same pups.

14. A Geddy vs. a Jaguar? You're kidding right?
    No contest. Keep the Geddy. Search around the forums for a while......folks who buy Geddys and keep them love them. Folks who buy Geddys and sell them regret it. I'm keeping mine.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The difference is the Geddy has a great bridge and the Jag has great versatility in it's electronics. Plus, I plan on dropping a BAII on it sometime in the future. :D

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Johnny5,

I'm afraid it's going to be VERY hard for you to find any bass with such playability as fhat the Geddy Lee has, especially in this price range. Amazing neck.

BTW, I have put a layaway on a Geddy Lee, and I am about to sell my Music Man StingRay 5 to get it.

Cheers
    Jay

17. No offense but that Jag is fugly. How many usable tones can you get outta that thing anyway? Never heard one but I'll tell you this. By adjusting the volume on the neck and bridge pups I can get a very wide range of usable tones from Ged.... fat growl to smooth-as-silk. It's a keeper.

18. Congrats Jay.......GREAT bass....classic look and the neck...that neck! Sweet.......

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I kept my Geddy, and I'm notorious for returning stuff. I only keep stuff if it sounds great at a rehearsal like it did in the store. I think we all know how different things become at a rehearsal or gig than they were in the store.

About returning stuff as one poster was talking about; I'm offended when GC trys to bring me out a "new" used item, and at the same time I return things often, but I make sure it's as new as it can possibly be. What I don't understand is; How is this 30 day policy meant to work? They encourage you to try it out for up to 30 days. Why doesn't GC simply mark a returned item as "B" stock like the online stores and discount it without you having to even say anything first. I also think GC should not accept items that are not returned in new condition. I respect store managers who insist that the customer complies with the return policy, even if it's me they are saying "no" to.

Back to the Geddy. I had no idea I was going to buy it. I was only using it to test an amp. It was on the floor, so I'm sure it got played to death, but that shouldn't hurt a bass guitar *at all*. I still thought it was great enough to buy it.

And a question: I realize Geddy Lee modified some 60's jazz basses by having BadAss bridges installed. Did he have anything modified on the neck, or do the Geddy models have the neck specifications from a stock 196? Jazz?

Thanks - Skel

20. I heard he sanded the neck down slimmer.....who knows?