1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender geddy lee or highway 1 jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Apr 25, 2006.

1. does anybody own both or has anybody played both, ive been looking at them online for about the same price. I cant try either of them out because the guitar center doesnt carry either of them. they will order one for me and probably get the same price as online. the reviews ive read make them both sound like great basses.

any help is much appreciated

2. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Well then why don't you just get one online? Because won't you have to pay tax in person? Also I think most here are going to go with the GL.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    last i checked, with a 25 dollar depsosit a GC can get one in for you to try out from a different branch.

i did that with a few basses.

4. i probably will buy online especially since all the websites offer free shipping, but i still want an opinion of somebody who has played them since i cant play them for myself.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Geddy. No question. Highway 1 is cool, but the Geddy smokes it IMHO.

6. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    See if GC will order both and try them side by side and pick the winner.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Geddy Lee OWNS Highway 1

8. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I tried a lot of Fender jazz basses and none spoke to me. Bought a GL w/o triying it, and never looked back. I love it. I changed the tuners to better quality Hipshots, DiMarzio Model J pickups and did a series/parallel mod. The bass didn't need any of this but I now have an awesome Fender jazz better IMO than the American Standar series for less than $1000.

Great greeat bass and an awesome neck.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also did the Model J's to it, but I'm not much into the series/parallel mods, so I opted out on that one. I did rewire it to vol-pan-tone tho. Never been a big VVT guy. I also left the stock tuners on there. Yeah, not as smooth, but I've never had problems tuning it or keeping it in tune, so they're ok with me. I should mention I did NOT change the pickups to alter the tone... only to lose the typical SC hum. I was VERY happy with the original pickups' tone and output.

Bottom line is, it plays and sounds pretty much just like when I bought it, just w'out SC hum, and I could not be any happier with it. Even with all my high end stuff, it ALWAYS goes to blues gigs with me. ALWAYS.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Listen to the man!

11. For the last 6 months, i've been looking for a bass and at one time i was thinking of getting the highway 1 and then soon after, i wanted another bass, and then another, i finally came up with the decision to try the geddy lee or the marcus miller, so i tried both at my local GC, and i found the GL to be much better. I ended up getting the GL and am very happy with my purchase.
    I would say get the GL, its just a great bass. i love it.

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I would say try em both if you can. I have owned both (still have my Geddy) and think they are great value for money. The neck on the Geddy is thinner (back to front) than the highway. Is one better than the other? You decide.

13. +1

The Miller is also a good choice... actually, I'd probably buy that if I wanted another jazz right now.

14. i played the miller liked the tone and the neck but i like the geddy lee look better. do they sound sound similar or is there a big differance because the marcus miller is ash and the geddy lee is alder.

15. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Ok, gotta show some love for the Highway 1.....I have a high way one jazz stock, except for some cosmetic changes (i.e. .pickguard and pup cover), and I dropped in a set of duncan QP jazz pups. This is my main bass, my benchmark for other basses, my money maker, and I love it. It's one, if not the only, jazz I've ever picked up that has done it for me. I have yet to find a Geddy Lee that I remotely like enough to consider buying. Plus, the satin finish on the Hwy 1s relics very nicely. A good jazz bass, or P bass for that matter, should be missing half of it's finish IMO. The Hwy 1 also comes stock with MIA pups, minus the silly S1 switch.....I'd take a Hwy 1 over a GL any day....

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I sold my Highway jazz over a year ago and ended up with a Geddy Lee. I love my Geddy but kick myself in the arse everyday for selling my Highway. One of best value for money basses I have ever owned.....bar none.

17. bump

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN

Exactly. The Geddy is such a sweet bass.

19. According to Fender:

Having played an MM, and currently owning a GL...Subjectively, the mids seem more present in an MM, but that tonality might be enhanced by the preamp. I chose the GL because of the fast neck, and it's 'snappy' rather than 'burpy' tone.

YMMV

20. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've never played a Geddy, so I can't really comment on it.......but I can say that I love my Hwy. 1 Jazz. As of now it's my main gigging bass.
    here's a picture of it with the rest of my bassses......it's the red one, 2nd from the left

[​IMG]