Fender Geddy lee, or other jazzes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Oct 27, 2003.

1. From playing Geddy Lee's sig. fender jazz bass, how would you rate it against other of fender's jazz basses?
  2. Its my favorite fender yet
  3. I love the classic Jazz basses made by Fender.

I really don't care for the maple necks with the binding, it feels lose in my hands!

4. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    HOLY CRAP!!!

I just today SERIOUSLY tried out my first MIA Fender Standard.

Regular playing I wasnt too impressed.

Funk, I liked.

Slapping, O M G, I love the Slap/Pluck sound I get from the fenders, it was totally awesome, I havent played anybass that sounded that good when slapped.
  5. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    the more I'm around this bass the relationship gets stronger and stronger.

And I loved it to begin with:bassist:
  6. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I personally think the Fender Japan series are the best Fenders available for the money. I snagged a Geddy Lee Jazz for a little over $500, and it's worth every cent. Combined with the Sadowsky outboard preamp I bought a few years ago, the thing's unstoppable.

I'm a bit sour on the American Jazz series because of a dud 97 Jazz I used to own.
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I tried the Geddy J-bass and really dug it. Someone on this thread had issues with the neck binding. I don't know if she just had a bum axe or what but the 2 I've tried (in two different stores in two different states) were spot on. BTW, the Geddy J-necks are really nice (not to mention the stock Badass Bridge). Bang for buck, I thought the Ged was great. However if you're asking what Fender J smokes them all, well that question is a bit too broad when you consider Fender makes J-basses from dirt cheap (Squires) to custom shop axes with price tags that would require a 2nd mortgage on your house to buy.

So keeping in the same relative price range, I think the Fender US Highway 1 J basses are pretty damn good. I'm not a big fan of the colors (the matte finish is fine by me but of what I've seen, the colors are kind of drab). I tried the Highway against the Japanese Aerodyne and tonally, the Highway smoked the Aerodyne (I think the Aerodyne's basswood body might have played a roll in this). Besides tone, the axe played pretty well. Now if only there were a Geddy bass in that shop so I could put the US Highway 1 toe to toe with it; ugh!

I think the new American Series basses is definitely a step up from the old American Standard series, but I think these basses will set you back a good $300 more than the Geddy Lee or Highway 1 Bass.

So, has anyone tried out the Geddy and the Highway J’s at the same time? Feedback?

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The Geddy's neck is one of the nicest I've ever played and the only Fender neck like it...narrow and flat. Fast as heck with a wonderful 7.25" board radius!
  9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    did you ever find it?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Geddy IMHO is the best bargain in a genuine Fender Jazz. The only thing lacking are the tuners. They get the job done, but are a little on the cheesy side.

I love my Geddy Lee. I picked it over 20+ MIAs and 100+ MIMs that I tried in the Dallas area. It plays and sounds better than all of them.
  11. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Cool, but have you tried it side by side with a US Highway 1 Jazz? I'm really curious because I like them both but could never find both models in the same shop. Thanks!

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've picked up a couple of US Highway 1 jazzes, and wasn't too impressed with them. Never plugged one in.