1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Geddy Lee Road Worn Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDudeSA, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Hi guys, I just received my new Guitar Center catalog in the mail. There is a Rush contest and one of the prizes is a Road Worn Geddy Lee Jazz. It shows a photo of it too (black version). I did a Google search on it and found nothing. Nothing on the GC or Fender site. I was wondering if this was a one-off prize or if Fender is going into production and making RW Geddys. If so, I'm in.

If anyone else has this catalog, it is mentioned on page 4 under the list of what is included in the grand prize winnings. August catalog.

2. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Interesting, seems like a lot of FSR coming out now days

3. Love the Geddy Lee bass. Not sure how I feel about the whole Roadworn thing.

4. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    Does Geddy's original have a nitro or a poly finish? I read somewhere that poly finishing started in '69, whereas Geddy's is a '72. His original certainly is worn, but I'm interested to see how they try to relic a poly finish if that is the case...

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    His is poly, but early 70's poly was much thinner than what they use nowadays. Not really sure how present day Fender would pull that off...but even if it was Nitro, it'd look badass. My 75 P bass (is also black) has real nice wear in all the right places.

I'd really like to see a relic'd Geddy bass. That'd be something quite interesting.

6. Just saw that, too...I would really love to see one!

7. gordon5377

gordon5377

Mar 15, 2009
    I received my GC catalog and saw the ad as well. I then noticed that both GC and Musician's Friend are 'out of stock' on the standard black model, so they must be planning on discontinuing those. Now if we could only get Fender to release the red FMT bass. Oh well, guess that is why I am building my own GL with the FMT. I'll post some pics when it's done.

8. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Hey Guys,
    I saw that too. I emailed Fender yesterday to find out if it's a special run or a regular production. I wonder if it will be made in Mexico or Japan?. All of the Road Worns I've tried have been amazing.
    I'll let you know what they say.
    Take Care,
    Brent

9. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm curious to hear about this one too!

10. '70s poly was notorious thick - it was even marketed as 'thick skin finish'

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html

from '68

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Agreed...But compared to nitro that flaked off with a single touch (pre-68), poly was very thick. But compared to today's poly, it was much still thinner back then. That's why you can find nicely worn late 60's early 70's Fenders. It wasn't quite as 'indestructible' as you see on brand new Fenders

12. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    So still no word on this? I got a buddy who's a huge GL fan and he wants to know.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Can someone scan the GC catalog page? I couldn't even find this online...I wonder if it's a typo/misprint

14. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Still no word from Fender. They are usually pretty good about replying. I don't think it's a typo, if you look really hard you can see the finish removed at the top of the body (where your right arm rests)and the neck looks more "tinted". GC probably haven't updated their website yet.

Brent

15. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Could they mean like a bass Geddy actually used on the road? He already has a signature bass, and its poly, so it wouldn't wear to nicely...

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Here it is.
    Sorry my scanner is a pos.

7699364078_a7909f69d1_c.

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks! So it's a Geddy bass refinished in nitro with some arm wear. I dig it.

I entered the contest...who knows...

18. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Anybody notice that the bass he is playing in the photo in not like the bass they are giving away? Or his sig model?

19. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    It's probably a typo...