Fender Geddy Lee signature jazz bass vs Flea roadworn jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Sep 19, 2018.

1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Both of these Fender basses are MIM ones. I understand they are both quality instruments. The flea is more expensive than the geddy, with a rough $600 dollar difference? The flea is a 60s based jazz and the geddy a 70s based one, but which is built a little better? What is the basis of the big price difference, is it just the shell pink and road wear making the difference, or is there better quality parts being used? Which is a nicer build, tone wise and feel, in your opinion? I am soon to try them both in the store.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Based on Fender’s website, there is only a $325 difference between the two models. They are (presumably) made in the same place, on the same machines, by the same labor force. Quality, in the general sense, is likely similar. My guess is that Fender’s market research shows that “road wearing” and nitro commands a higher price point.

Bass Man Dan and RumbleMan3 like this.
  3. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    thanks good to know.
    yeah i thought the price difference wasn't as high

4. Maybe the price of using Flea’s name is costing Fender more than using Geddy’s. Or not.

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I don't own either. I've never heard a bad thing about the Geddys, but I've heard several qc complaints about the Flea. I would definitely try them both, but if I couldn't, I'd go with the Geddy.

RumbleMan3 and Mister Shhh like this.
  6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Flea all day long.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021