Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender : Geddy, Marcus Miller or 60's Classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Dec 28, 2004.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hello Everyone...

I want to buy a Fender Jazz Bass, but the choices are so many, and the opportunities to try them all together are so little (better said, here in Portugal are inexistent!!!) that I decided to ask the wonderful bass comunity an opinion.

As you already understood I've narrowed my choices to GL signature bass, MM signature bass or 60's Classic (Made in Meximo), due essentially to monetary restrictions and what I think is the best value for money Fender basses.

I really do not dig all that much Geddy Lee´s sound nor Marcus Miller's sound (well, this one I like but mainly in slap), but from what I've read, this basses are very versatile and you can get a common Fender Jazz sound!!! Is this TRUE??

I know that this should not count, but I really love MM bass looks........ Really.........

I would like you to give me your advice on this. I love Jaco sound, Victor Bailey sound, Victor Wooten sound (I know he uses a Fodera, so you really can't compare) and many others.

Which one should I buy??

The prices that I can get the basses are:
    - GL : 850 €
    - MM : 950 €
    - 60's Classic : 650 €

Thank you in advance!!!

2. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Have you played each of these basses? What bass you buy should be your own personal preference.

In my opinion, the MM bass is by far the best sounding out of that group. If you want an aggressive 70's vintage tone that you can slap til your hands fall off, the MM is your bass. On the other hand if you want more of a neutral less aggressive tone, go with the 60's reissue.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I fell in love with the MM the moment I picked it up. I find that it doesn't have quite the tone of a standard jazz when you use fingerstyle, but for slapping, I haven't heard a finer tone than what I got from the MM. I wasn't that impressed with the one Geddy that I tried, but people around here seem to love them, so I think I should give it another try. They're all good basses, so try them each, and then base your decision on the styles of music that you'll be playing.

4. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I had an opportunity a couple of years ago, to get any bass Fender made, for free. I wanted a Jazz, and I tried all of them. I'm mostly a rock player, but I do get a chance to play other styles, and I wanted a versatile instrument that I would enjoy in any situation. I chose the MM bass. I liked the active/passive option. I loved the feel and tone. The neck is fantastic. I did change the preamp, however. I wasn't thrilled with the stock Fender one. It wasn't bad, but I wanted better. I put in a Bartolini, and it has been my main bass for a couple of years, now. That's my recommendation, but That being said, everyone is different, so you should try them and choose what best suits you.

5. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Hey Eric.. what model Bartolini preamp did you put in your MM? Was it difficult to change out/rewire? I'll be buying an MM 4 string myself in the next few days.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The Geddy neck is some skinnier than a regular Jazz neck, so take that into consideration too. You'll have no problem getting a regular J sound out of it, Geddy's sound comes a lot from his technique and rig.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Do you want an granny smith, ruby red, or macintosh apples?

8. The Classic 60's Jazz is very solid for a MIM. Felt very very good.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I slap alot and I am very influenced by Marcus Miller, but I really prefer the feel of the Geddy Lee bass. It is very well made and finished. I know some have complained about the tuners and the output of the pickups, but in my limited experience with these basses, those things were not an issue.
    The Marcus Miller is sweet also, but I really have a preference for the clean lines and pure passive tone of the Geddy Lee Jazz.

10. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Wayner,
    It's been a couple of years, and I'm embarassed to say that I don't remember the model number of the preamp. Sorry about that. I have someone that does all of my repairs and mods, so he installed it for me. I'm happy to say, though, that I love the tone. It's a fat, growly, wide open, vintage tone.

11. My recommendation; the Geddy all the way. I know I sure enjoy mine.

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've played one of the '60s Classic basses and I thought they were pretty nice. If you're after a more "old school" or "vintage" tone that would be the one to pick. I don't slap but I would imagine that, properly set up, the MIM '60s Jazz would work reasonably well for that too.

13. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    No Fender Jazz ever played as well as a Geddy (and they look pretty damned good, too). Why buy an MIM when you can get a CIJ for practically the same price???