1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Geddy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 68Goldfish, Aug 13, 2007.

1. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Hey Gents. This might be a question more suited for the pickup board but I'm not sure. Does anybody know what fender pickups I'd get as stock replacements for the ones in my Geddy? I see a set of fender pickups on one website that say thier 75 reissue noisless jazz bass pickups. I think this might be them but I'm not sure.
    TIA TB:bassist:

2. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Hmm, lets try this again.

3. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Howdy!

I'll take a whack at it. The Pups in the Geddy are the Jazz Bass Pickups from Fender
    http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0992123000

Then there are the noisless pups from Fender...
    http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0992102000

Though these are supposed to sound the same but noiseless...the only negative I have heard about the noiseless is the output seems to be lower overall. I have not experienced these pups nor been able to do a side by side (same Jazz basses, but one with the Geddy pups and one with the noiseless through the same amp/sound rig) comparison.

In my project bass I am considering each of these but am leaning towards the Jazz Bass pups like in the Geddy. Though the owner of the local shop is urging me towards the noiseless I think a key to Geddys sound is the wee bit of 60 cycle hum. I think the hum is the key to THE Jazz Bass sound and growl....

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender.com says they're Vintage Fender Jazz Bass pickups. But I don't think they're the noiseless kind.

5. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They are definitely not the noiseless pickups. Noiseless pickups are only on deluxes. On Geddys is the the vintage jazz pickups.

6. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If you're going to replace them and like the aggressive side of the Geddy, try Stan Hinsley Hot-Js. They are very high output and have a great treble response.

www.has-sound.com has a link to Hinsley's page.

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Dimarzio Model Js. Very warm vintagey tone, and they are stacked, so completely noiseless. I have them in my fretless.