Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender GeddyLee sign is made in ...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassit, Jul 1, 2005.

1. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    Is Fender GL is made in usa or japan or both? I only want to own an usa made one. if it is only made in fender japan,please advise a considerable one contrasting GL(fender,too), thank you su much TBers! :hyper:

2. Japan.

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The USA Geddy is made by Sadowsky. ;)

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Why do you not want anything besides Fender USA? Fender Japan is just as good if not BETTER quality than Fender USA.

5. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Some people want American made becuase they want know their money is going to be a salary for a hard working American. Just my 2 cents...

No knock against MIM, MIJ, MIK, or any other MI blank...

Unless you don't live in America, then I don't know... I'd want a MIJ though, I heard they are better made than Americans.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, I can't blame the guy. I've played some good Japanese Fenders, and even a few good Mexican ones, but I think as a whole, the USA lines are superior. Just my opinion, but that's how I roll...

7. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    It goes beyond quality, and beyond perceived value - there is no love lost between China and Japan.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's a foolish statement, I myself own Fenders from different countries (check my profile) and what you say is b.s. MIJ Fenders are copies of MIA Fenders, Some have appealing items like bound necks and badassII bridges but MIA basses don't need those things to sell. MIA basses need nothing out the gate while MIJ basses while excellent instruments alway's have a component or two people want to swap out. Take the Geddy bass, some hate the tuners and dislike the pups. Mine has a low output compared to all my other basses. The sting has the old style bridge, intonation horror story for sure. Marcus Miller has a pre-amp that's just ok nothing special, can even be harsh with treble boosted too much. 75RI bass has rear pup in the wrong place to be a true 75. Believe me it makes a difference. You get what you pay for, they are nice for what they are but to say they are better no I don't think so. And I own a bunch of all of them not I had one of those but I got one of these now deals either.

9. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    thank you all first. and how to explain I only want a usa fender? it is a real complex feeling. But the most important: Fender is a classic American band. What I want is only the pure lineage. I am also planing a conklin GT4 or Maybe a Traben, cause they are made in their motherland, the band is not only include the quality but also their history and culture. i feel sorry that I am not certain explaining clearly,but what I want is what I need. thank you once more. .

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bassit, I know what you mean. I prefer American gear, but lately, my last two purchases have been Japanese. Why? I gotta do what I gotta do. I love America to death, but sometimes I gotta go for the good price.

At least it's still an American company.

AFAIK, Geddy's were always MIJ/CIJ.

11. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    Tplyons,I got you,too!

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I have a stock geddy and have played a few RI's and many MIA's. While it is a foolish statement to say that MIJ's in are in all instances better that MIA's, I would say they could easily compete. Yes, I would like to change the tuners. And I may change the pick guard and pickups. But if I were to replace my pickups I'd never think of getting a set of noiseless pickups. For the longest time the noiseless pickups sounded as bland as dried oatmeal.

As for the price point ... it is definetly a reason to go for a Geddy. There's a lot of bang for buck. I find it hard to swallow when I hear "you get what you pay for" especially when being compared to an MIA. I once played a Fender Custom Classic that was priced around $2000. I did a comparison with my bass and the custom classic and there was no contest ... the geddy had way more tone and playability. And this is not a IMHO blurb either. The fender custom classic had a nice fret job but it felt very lifeless and unresponsive. Also the tone was dull with a lot of low mids. Geddy was bright, punchy, and dynamic with lots of lively acoustics (great for harmonics). It was also very responsive. The extremes could get a little too harsh ... and sometimes you could have used some more lows. I plan to solve this by replacing the pickups (however the originals have done me for 5 years without any major issues). Over all you could get a 70's growly tone that you could slap for days.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You make mention of the Geddy's Brightness, I actaully removed my badassII to get rid of some of that "brightness". As far as punch is concerned your strings and attack play a large role in that. as far as harmonics goes any bass with a proper setup will do that, I got a MIM p I got for 230 bucks I could play harmonic scales up and down the fretboard even before I put Fralins in it!
    What I am saying here is I own 4 MIJ basses and the quality is very good but as I play out with different basses all the time my tried and true go to basses are MIA, that's just the way it is. I have gigged with my MIJ basses of course and they sounded great but the difference is in the thickness of the sound (thats why MIJ basses use MIA pups), the fluidity of the tuners, the smooth transition from bass to treble on the tone knob. The difference between MIA and MIJ basses become noticable when played alternately after time, not by having an MIA and trying a MIJ and liking the neck or the feel and saying the MIJ is better, what tends to happen is the thrill wears off and you go back to the staple. As i was buying my basses I bought them as I wanted them not because of counrty of origin I love all the MIJ basses I own Which are the Marcus Miller, Geddy Lee, Sting and a unlined fretless. All of these basses have minor quirks within themselves that I can live with but when it comes to my MIA basses FMT V, Victor Bailey, Roscoe Beck V,2000 Jazz, walnut p, 75RI SE, 98DLX jazz, all stand tall. MIJ basses are great for the money, not as replacements for MIA basses. If money was no object I bet most "seasoned" bass players would pick MIA basses over MIJ basses to gig with. JMHO

14. I would suggest that one of the reasons there is such a variety of opinion between MIA and MIJ is due to Fender's wildly variable quality issues.

Some of the MIJ's are definitely better players than some of the MIA's because of the lack of attention to detail. Granted, in general the MIA's are a higher quality product on the specs, but some of the MIJ's just have that build quality that puts them over.

If Fender were as flawless in their quality as say, Sadowsky, we probably wouldn't hear so much about Roger's lovely pieces.

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    right japanese cars are better than americans :D

16. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    So it's in your un-humble opinion then? :rolleyes:

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    With this I can agree.
    The bottom line is playabilty, setup and things that make a bass sound and play well is the responsibility of the owner after the bass has been purchased. Walk into any reputable shop and they will tell you those same guy's we all would like to be like get their basses setup up professionally. To pickup an instrument and say this is better than that because of playabilty is doing a dis-service to ones self.

PS I had the opportunity to meet Stanlry Banks :cool: a couple of weeks ago, He was playing a 98 MIA standard sunburst/rosewood jazz. While holding his bass and looking it over ( he was untangling the cord on stage) as we spoke he told me to check it out, It was setup perfectly! He looked at me and smiled at said "you like that huh" Real nice cat!

18. Yup. Agreed Py.

I was having some issues with my Jazz and knew that the setup was in need of some TLC.

Rather than mess with it myself, I took it to our local guitar guru (a great bloke) and he set it up beautifully. The resulting difference in playability, tone and my happiness was AMAZING :hyper:

I am surprised that some of your US bigger shops don't have someone employed to go around setting up their basses. I would think that a well setup bass would walk out the door quicker than one with no attention.

19. Im thinking about getting a Geddy Lee, but if I did, Id change the pickguard.

20. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    My GL was my first bass and a B-day gift at that. It's what I call a guitar players bass due to the neck shape. I've owned the GL for a couple years and having played many other basses sinse then I've come to the conclusion that the PU's are very enemic. I can't help but think that a set of Antiquity II's would be a huge improvement for it.