Fender Gen. 4 Noiseless J pups ...?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jun 29, 2017.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    So, I just discovered that Fender is selling the new Generation 4 Noiseless J pups (the same ones that come with the new Elite series Jazzes) on their site; I've heard the new Elite Jazz Basses and I think they sound Fantastic; a lot better than the Deluxe series; I have a (2015 natural) American Deluxe 4 Jazz and I'm VERY tempted to pull the trigger on a set of these new Generation 4 Noiseless J pups in hopes of getting/gaining that same Elite Jazz Bass tone from my Amer. Dlx. Now, I do understand that the preamp in the new Elites are different/ "Beefed up" as well, (they're not selling those on the site ... Yet:meh:), but I figure I'd start with the pups, then maybe find a used Preamp from someone that didn't particularly care for the tone/sound of the new Fender pre:whistle:. I think the pups "should" get me a least close to the tone(s) of the new Elite J's:rolleyes:; Thoughts? 0992262000_merch_frt_001_nr (1).jpg

2. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Holbrook, NY
    I love my Elite Jazz! The range of tone available is perfect for almost any situation. I use them passive somewhat more often than active however. They are surprisingly high output passive as well. IMHO, I don't believe Fender will be in any rush if ever to offer the preamp from the Elite series for sale as that could affect the exclusivity of those models.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. FacStudio

FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    Like Jonathan I love my Elite Jazz too and the Noiseless Pups are pretty good indeed. In fact at lot of Fenders newer pups are pretty good. I also have a American Pro Precision and the VMods in that are excellent too. Passive performance on the Noiseless 4 is excellent so droppiing them into any Jazz would be a great upgrade imo.

Alan Ace Cooper and madjazzbass like this.
  4. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, makes sense, Thanks

5. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thanks, I'm Definitely swapping out the N3's in my American Deluxe for the Gen. 4 Noiseless pups. ... I'll still have the original Fender preamp at least.

6. Ok resurrecting an old thread here!

I just got a new Elite Jazz a few days ago and it’s beautiful with a neck to die for.. however I’m finding (and I always play and prefer passive mode) the noiseless pups in passive sound a bit compressed to me hen compared to my other passive jazz basses, especially when snapping a string here and there or digging in a bit. Any other opinions or do I need to spend more time with them? Thanks

7. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I realize this is a 2 year old thread, but I have a brand new American Elite preamp assembly that I bought for a build and didn’t wind up using, just in case you still have any interest.

8. Kee

Kee

Sep 4, 2009
    "...the noiseless pups in passive sound a bit compressed to me hen compared to my other passive jazz basses, especially when snapping a string here and there or digging in a bit."

Agreed! And it is disappointing. We are researching other Pups to mate with the existing on board pre in order to get the growl a snap. Any ideas....?

9. Yeah remove preamp and pups and install passive J pups of choice, then use the extra hole as either a coil series/parallel switch as I did here or a mute switch? My pups now are Dimarzio Area J’s and sound closer to a J bass then the N4’s did..

09D687D1-716B-405D-AD08-0EFDC932F604.jpeg

10. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    In the other direction for those of us that don’t believe active electronics will join forces with 5G radio signals and conspire to kill us all....or something like that...

I replaced the Elite’s N4 pups and OEM preamp with pups (NJ5 Vintage 70s wind) and a pre from Nordstrand. After that, the tone of the Elite really opened up.

You really gotta decide if you want to spend another $350 on a 2000 Fender. As I alluded to another member being judgmental about that idea, it was my money, my mistake to make, and my cross to bear. The results were great, but I still lost money selling the bass later.

Sometimes it just be’s that way...

11. It’s all about what flavor your looking for? There’s times I like a modern active tone, mostly since I play in 70’s cover bands I like a vintage jazz tone that growls and can be up front in the mix, very lively and dynamic, so that’s my goal that I always try to attain.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021