Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender/gibson info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowsix, Jan 25, 2002.

1. I'm looking into buying a guitar thats at an auction nearby me tomorrow (sat 4PM ish). But I need to know how good these guitars are, and heck I'm not 100% sure what they are to be honest.

I have a link (e-mail me if you can help me, didn't want to violate use policy and post a link here) to a picture of them.

I'm pretty sure one is a fender precision bass (80s?) , and the other is a Gibson hollow-body bass (50s?). I can check for fret buzz/ serious neck problems / cracks etc... Can anyone give me any other tips or advice on determining more specifically what these are and how much they are worth. I'd really love to own a bass and I'd hate to miss a good deal on one because I'm afraid to bid very high.

Thanks In Advance
    Lou

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Having the serial number would be helpful. It would determing how old the bass is. Also, did you chack where it was made? Japanese Precisions are good but hardly rare.

If the Gibson bass is shaped like an ES-335, It's probably an EB-2. An interesting bass, but kinda notorious for sounding muddy. I wouldn't mind having one, but there are better basses to be had for less money.

I'm not sure what policy would be violated by yourposting of a link, since you're not going to profit from the sale.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Darn. The page is down, or we might could help you. You don't happen to have pistures of them that you have downloaded, do you?

4. embellisher

[​IMG]

I think that the Fender is a late 1970's or early 1980's one of the Fender experts can tell us for sure.

That Gibson looks pretty old, I would say 1930's - 1950's. And I believe that it is a mandocello, not a bass. Maybe a vintage freak on here can help?

Anyway, I posted the picture in the thread so that people could look and try to help you.

5. Cool, my guesses were just unjustified guesses, I really had no idea if I was in the right ballpark or not.

I looked up a few mandocellos this morning/noon though, and it looks like they all have 3 sets of two strtings. I'm not sure, but the picture looks like this gibson only has four. Is this some variation on a theme sort of thing? Maybe thats why you're thinking freaky oddball? What leads you to believe its not a bass? I mean I'll admit it looks different than any standard Gibson bass I was able to find, but it doesn't seem awfully dissimilar from the EB-2.

One odd thing is I didn't notice any knobs or anything on the front, but if I'm not mistaken its clearly got a pickup above the brridge. After market mod?

Thanks,
    Lou

6. I called up the auction and got the Fender's serial number

S907985

Boy am I ever getting excited as I look all over for these! :)

7. I think that Gibson is really a Tenor guitar , and not a bass at all. It kinda-sorta looks like a mid '30s L series Gibson.

8. Well thank you all for your replies.

The bad news is that I got neither, but the good is that y'all were right on target, and hopefully they will end up in good homes with gutarists who love them :) .

The Gibson was a tenor guitar after all and just had an add on electrical pickup. The finish was cracked up and a little bit faded, but otherwise looked to be in good shape. It sold for $350.

The Fender was (based on the serial #) an early 80's precision bass. Its finish was a little faded but otherwise the guitar looked (in my expert HA! opinion) to be in very good shape. It sold for $450, I went up to $300.

A little high for my blood since I mainly play folk/classical. But maybe one day another nice one will come my way and I'll get to enjoy those cool smooth bass tones.

Thanks again !!! :)

9. embellisher

Doh! I had a brain fart that night. It is indeed a tenor guitar. Like you found in your research, lowsix, mandocellos have doubled strings.