Fender GL Jazz and Sansamp Bass Driver DI problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arcy, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL

I recently purchased a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and based on everything I read, it seemed like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI would be a great match for it for my recording purposes. I bought one, and I love the sound I'm getting but I am having one small problem. Whenever I am using the unit (and it is turned on--light is lit), if I am not touching some metal on the bass (strings, bridge, tuners), then I get a buzzing noise that goes away as soon as I touch metal on it. Strangely it goes away when I turn down the tone knob. It doesn't seem to be typical 60hz hum just because when I touch metal it goes away and all. I think I've experienced it before when playing my guitar (with humbuckers) on various amps, but I can't really recall what I ever did to make it go away. Oh by the way I'm experiencing this with both a 9v battery, and a 9v power adaptor (though I have not tried phantom, but I doubt it would make much difference). Well anyway, if anyone can provide any help in this matter I would sincerely appreciate it. I bought the box for
    direct recording, and though I haven't actually recorded it yet, I assume the noise would show up in the recording just as I'm hearing it through the speakers, and noise like this in a recording wouldn't sound too good.

2. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Let me bump you back to the top with this:

Sounds like a bad ground or inadequate grounding in your bass. Maybe an expert will jump in here and help.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with K-frog... I don't think the SansAmp has anything to do with it, except maybe if you're boosting treble and/or presence on the SABDDI and thus boosting the noise level.

Noise has always been a problem with Jazz basses because of their single-coil pickups.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

OBTW: you added a SansAmp, which means you must've added another instrument cable. Are you sure the new cable is OK? I have to ask... when troubleshooting, you have to check all possibilities!
  5. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I think my cable is okay; it's the same one that I use with my Behringer V-Amp 2 with my guitar. I've also tried running the geddy lee into the V-Amp 2, and I get no hum or noise or anything... granted it's digital and sort of a different concept but still, no hum or buzz. Definitely nothing that comes and goes as I remove my hand from the metal on the bass.

???? :(
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is there a ground lift switch on the Sans Amp? if so try it, if not, I can't help. :(
  7. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Yeah I tried it but nothing changed :(

the tech21 guy recommended that I turn down both volume knobs on the bass and check for the same buzz. I did this, and if i put my ear right next to the speaker I can hear a very faint buzz that comes/goes as I touch metal on the bass. Is this normal for jazz basses, or is there some problem? I'd hate to think there's a real problem cause I just ordered this bass like 3 weeks ago :( If theres some sort of grounding problem inside the bass, how much does that sort of thing cost to fix? Thanks again.