Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender GL Jazz and Sansamp Bass Driver DI problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arcy, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Arcy

Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    doh!

I recently purchased a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and based on everything I read, it seemed like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI would be a great match for it for my recording purposes. I bought one, and I love the sound I'm getting but I am having one small problem. Whenever I am using the unit (and it is turned on--light is lit), if I am not touching some metal on the bass (strings, bridge, tuners), then I get a buzzing noise that goes away as soon as I touch metal on it. Strangely it goes away when I turn down the tone knob. It doesn't seem to be typical 60hz hum just because when I touch metal it goes away and all. I think I've experienced it before when playing my guitar (with humbuckers) on various amps, but I can't really recall what I ever did to make it go away. Oh by the way I'm experiencing this with both a 9v battery, and a 9v power adaptor (though I have not tried phantom, but I doubt it would make much difference). Well anyway, if anyone can provide any help in this matter I would sincerely appreciate it. I bought the box for
    direct recording, and though I haven't actually recorded it yet, I assume the noise would show up in the recording just as I'm hearing it through the speakers, and noise like this in a recording wouldn't sound too good.

Thanks,

rc

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Let me bump you back to the top with this:

Sounds like a bad ground or inadequate grounding in your bass. Maybe an expert will jump in here and help.

K

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with K-frog... I don't think the SansAmp has anything to do with it, except maybe if you're boosting treble and/or presence on the SABDDI and thus boosting the noise level.

Noise has always been a problem with Jazz basses because of their single-coil pickups.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

OBTW: you added a SansAmp, which means you must've added another instrument cable. Are you sure the new cable is OK? I have to ask... when troubleshooting, you have to check all possibilities!

5. Arcy

Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I think my cable is okay; it's the same one that I use with my Behringer V-Amp 2 with my guitar. I've also tried running the geddy lee into the V-Amp 2, and I get no hum or noise or anything... granted it's digital and sort of a different concept but still, no hum or buzz. Definitely nothing that comes and goes as I remove my hand from the metal on the bass.

???? :(

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is there a ground lift switch on the Sans Amp? if so try it, if not, I can't help. :(

7. Arcy

Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Yeah I tried it but nothing changed :(

the tech21 guy recommended that I turn down both volume knobs on the bass and check for the same buzz. I did this, and if i put my ear right next to the speaker I can hear a very faint buzz that comes/goes as I touch metal on the bass. Is this normal for jazz basses, or is there some problem? I'd hate to think there's a real problem cause I just ordered this bass like 3 weeks ago :( If theres some sort of grounding problem inside the bass, how much does that sort of thing cost to fix? Thanks again.

rc