Fender GL Jazz and Sansamp Bass Driver DI problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Arcy, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL

I recently purchased a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and based on everything I read, it seemed like the Sansamp Bass Driver DI would be a great match for it for my recording purposes. I bought one, and I love the sound I'm getting but I am having one small problem. Whenever I am using the unit (and it is turned on--light is lit), if I am not touching some metal on the bass (strings, bridge, tuners), then I get a buzzing noise that goes away as soon as I touch metal on it. Strangely it goes away when I turn down the tone knob. It doesn't seem to be typical 60hz hum just because when I touch metal it goes away and all. I think I've experienced it before when playing my guitar (with humbuckers) on various amps, but I can't really recall what I ever did to make it go away. Oh by the way I'm experiencing this with both a 9v battery, and a 9v power adaptor (though I have not tried phantom, but I doubt it would make much difference). Well anyway, if anyone can provide any help in this matter I would sincerely appreciate it. I bought the box for
    direct recording, and though I haven't actually recorded it yet, I assume the noise would show up in the recording just as I'm hearing it through the speakers, and noise like this in a recording wouldn't sound too good.

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i don't know, man. maybe your jazz ain't grounded all that well, and the signal boost from the sansamp is finally bringing it to light. i don't know though, just a thought.
  3. Arcy

Jul 4, 2003
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Actually the other day I tried my Gibson Les Paul which never has given me that problem in 8 years, and it did the same thing. Touching a string in the middle of the fretboard even gives a pop, on both instruments. It's happening when I plug into a V-amp 2 also. Makes me think maybe it's power related.
  4. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    This sounds like the wire connecting the bridge to the ground connection on the conrols is loose. Take off the strings and unscrew the bride (on the bass). There should be a wire there. It needs to make contace with the bridge. I think some solder it there. On my MIM jazz it was just pressed there when you screwed the bridge to the bass. it made contact, so I didn't worry about it. The solder on the volume pot could have broken too, but my guess is that it is at the bridge.

I am not an expert, but this is what I have heard. If you touch the strings and it goes away, then it is probablya grounding issue.
  5. Turn off the fluorescent lights and keep away from that computer monitor. There's nothing wrong with the sansamp. You probably have the presence and drive way up...is the Geddy Lee an active bass, btw? The Sansamp is noisy with the presence and drive up high with a preamp running into it.