1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender good for a certain style of music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lepre003, Apr 7, 2009.

1. lepre003

lepre003

Mar 10, 2009
    Duluth MN
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is a week late. It would have made a great April Fools post.:)

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Your link doesn't work so I fixed it -

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/740...F0CA652334348247582969B4C4DC3284831B75F48EF45

That's a Fender "Marcus Miller" Jazz Bass.

Fenders are pretty much the industry standard, and have been used to record and play pretty much EVERY genre of music.

4. Here we go again :)

5. lepre003

lepre003

Mar 10, 2009
    Duluth MN
    haha sorry I am quite the newbie at this stuff, sorry if this is repedative but im just trying to learn some stuff, so maybe for one more time, for a newb, one of you could tell me why that is?
    Anyone know this bassist?

6. Oh no problem, most people around here worth their salt won't begrudge a newbie since we all were at one time ( aren't we all still newbies compared to somebody?)

Generally speaking Fender has marketing, reputation, popularity among famous musicians, versatility, sound, and quality. Many may argue most of that, and to each his own, but the bottom line is they are timeless designs, generally considered pretty (if a bit generic) and easy to get a hold of if you have the bread. Their sound probably has less to do with their popularity than the overall combination of those things whether die hard Fender guys admit it or not.

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Well... the Fender sound IS the best, and nobody does that sound as well as Fender. :bag:

8. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    No Fender is good for any style of music. Ever. I can't think of one popular bassist who has ever used one on stage or in the studio.

Wait, I was thinking of kittens..

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think that Fender basses were popular FIRST and that helped. What I mean by that is Fender basses were really popular long before the endless sea of name brands we have today. Thus the sound of a Fender bass bacame accepted as just the sound of THE ELECTRIC BASS in general. So for a lot of people, it still IS the sound of the electric bass. Hope that helps.

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Bah- "Styles" of music has very little to do with the physical instrument- they're for selling it only. Descriptions of styles are either so convoluted as to be meainingless (e.g. "schizo-death-emo-blues-funk-metal-grindcore-folk") or so broad to be pointless (e.g "rock" or "country"). By "rock" do you mean what Chuck Berry played, or what U2 plays, or what The Stooges play, or what Poision played? By "country" do you mean that crap that's on the radio now like Jason Aldean, Big & Stupid, Taylor Twit, etc. or do you mean Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, etc. or do you mean The Carter Family, the Bryants, etc.? Duke Ellington one said (when asked if he conisdered his music to be "jazz") "There are only two kinds of music. Music that sounds good, and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

None of that has to do with the instrument used to make the bass line happen. Since Fender makes a lot of different variations of the Precision and the Jazz, as well as enough other kinds of basses to cover a wide range, I'd say a Fender is good for any "style" of music. And just about any other electric bass by any other manufacturer is also good for any style of music. It's the bassist, and the lines they play much more than the tool they use to do it.

Learn that, and accept that. It will save you a LOT of money over the years.

jte

11. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    of course some people would say it's the bassists who are the tools:eyebrow:... they'd be wrong but that wouldn't stop them from saying it.

the answer to the original question is every style 'cos fenders are AWESOME! but only those made from august of '60 to january of '64. everything else is pretty crappy...:p

12. I never said Fender's don't have a proprietary sound and I love Fender's gear. I am just saying that they are now so ingrained in the culture of bass due to being first, popular, available etc, that even if they sounded like silly putty stretched over a couple of nails on a yardstick they would still be enjoyng success, even if not as much. Let's face it, Fender has made some junk instruments, cost a lot and have come up with some designs that were not very popular at all, but they have weathered the storm very very well. And it is no coincidence that some of the finest boutique instruments out there are Fender copies all suped up.