1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Grease Bucket Tone Circuit. Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Corevalay, Aug 1, 2020.

1. So does playing more towards the neck. A too thin or too thick split is the easiest thing on a bass to correct. You simply move your fingers.

2. The greasebucket is thier take on an active treble knob, while remaining passive. They turned a tone into a treble pot. It removes the low mid spike that happens when you turn on the capacitor. In other words, it doesn't sound like a P or J anymore. Its different. Bad or good, its still different.

To me, that spike is the "magic"

Without that, why even have a tone knob?

DirkP and Dynacord like this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve got a couple second generation Highway 1 (One??) j basses and i like the way both of them sound. I’ve never had cause to remove the control plate and i can’t recall if the sales info specified a greasebucket circuit, but i have no complaints about the sound of either bass.
    My brother has one of them in his home studio and it has replaced his Heartfield and my j Plus as his favorite bass to record.

4. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    I find the Greasebucket circuit to be rather useful in certain situations. I like it. But sometimes I also need the sound of the traditional tone control. Wanting to have my cake and eat it too, I decided to replace the tone pot on my P-Bass with a push/pull pot that allows me to switch between a conventional P-Bass tone control (with .047uf cap) and a Greasbucket circuit.

Knob down: Standard tone control. Knob up: Greasebucket tone control.

It's an extremely simple mod and allows you to have the best of both worlds within the same bass, and it's easily reversible if you ever decide you want to sell the bass in its original configuration.

5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    You haven’t really addressed whether you think the sound is lacking with the tone wide open or closed a bit. If it’s with the tone open, then it’s not the grease bucket.

I’m all for trying new pickups, but I think you should start with strings and setup first (if you haven’t already). They can make a big difference. Play the two basses unplugged and listen that way as well. The performer PJ I played at a guitar center sounded good, but not necessarily modern to my ear. I’m not saying a pickup change or tone pot change won’t help, but I would dig a little deeper before you invest in changing the electronics.

6. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Hi,Please forgive my ignorance, I ve heard of the greasebucket but never looked into it.What exactly is it? a different Cap value? An added resistor? How much different is it from a TBX tone pot? please explain if its not too complex!
    Thanks

GreggBummer likes this.
  7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    If you bought it new it came with the Greasebucket circuit. From a look at the circuit, it doesn't look different than the standard one except for the inner guts of the electronics I would say. Edit: The Greasebucket circuit was introduced in the Highway One in 2006, so if you have a model that is older than 2006 you will have a standard P-Bass control circuit.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    GreggBummer likes this.
  8. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Here's some useful info on it: Greasebucket tone circuit for guitar

I've found at least one article stating it originated from G&L's ASAT series instruments back in the '90's.

Interesting concept, but I've no experience with it personally.

9. What is a Greasebucket tone control:
    upload_2020-8-2_19-14-40.png
    Thanks to:
    upload_2020-8-2_19-16-19.png

10. I like it and I find it useful.
    I have a Performer Jazz and I find the circuit very appropriate for the model. It keeps notes clear and precise even with the tone completely rolled off, which is ideal for a J bass imho.
    If you like the deep thump of a P bass with a regular tone knob completely off, remember that you have an EQ on your amp, preamp or whatever you use.

11. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    I checked one of those American Performer Precisions out last year and really liked it a lot. I liked the Yosemite pick ups and the Greasebucket tone circuit. From what I remember, the Yosemite/Greasebucket was similar to my late model American Standards (Jazz and Precision) with about 10-15% more range (up and down) in the tone knob.

I was pretty set to purchase that bass when I spied something else for a little more $ that I couldn't resist. I'm still tempted to sell my Am Std Precision (my least used bass) to fund a purchase for a Performer Precision.

Hypercaffium likes this.