Fender growl with an L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Nov 26, 2001.

1. I have yet to plug my L-2000 into a good rig, but can someone tell me if my L-2000 can get a nice, punchy, Fender growl?

is this possible...what kind of EQ am I looking for!?!?

I just can't get it out of my 2 amps, a Squier BP-15 and an Ampeg BA-112.
  2. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Sure you can. Select both pups and use the active or passive mode and crank it wide open. If you are using the active mode, you may not be able to turn the bass all the way up on some amps because the preamp is so powerful though. Try backing down on the amp volume and setting the bass wide open. Good luck.
  3. If you want a Fender growl, why dont you get a Fender then?

But if you're stuck with a G&L(like me:D), then what kind of fender? I suggest you use new sets of strings and almost all the settings in L2000 can be made similar to a fender.

4. yeah I really do think that my only problem with my tone problem is my strings. I've strung my L-2000 with DR Lowriders, which I feel that don't give a good growl because of such high tension. But they do sound heavenly when slapped...Marcus Milller...:rolleyes:

I think i'm looking for some Stainless Steel Rotosounds...roundcore of course. Hex core is high tension.:mad:

am I right?:confused:?
  5. what do you mean "stuck with a G&L?!":mad:
    you say it like it's a bad thing!:mad: ...:D
  6. and plus...I think i've sold out to G&L...my next bass will probably be a JB-2...have you seen the JB-2 ad in BassPlayer magazine? Not the review, the ad. Just gorgious!
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well, hex cores tend to be a bit stiffer than round cores, but I don't know if that's because of the core shape or just because the few round-core strings are made with thinner cores.

I don't think DR Lo-Riders are causing any growl problems, they should do fine. Even if they are old - depends on what "growl" means. You mean like J-bass bridge p/up? I don't know the G&L so I can't advise on that, but it seems like that should be possible (bridge pickup, single coil-mode?).
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hmmm, I always felt my L2000 could growl on pretty much any setting. My favorites are:

neck pickup, series, active, bass rolled off until it sounds even between low and high strings - this is a deep, punchy sound

both pickups, series, active, bass rolled off until it sounds even between low and high strings - still deep but with added growl from the use of the bridge pickup, a little "hollow" from the two pickups together

both pickups, parallel, active, bass & treble full up - this is the most "even" sound with plenty of growl. Similar to a jazz with both pickups on full. Has that bit of "hollow" sound from both pickups at the same level.

I always use nickel rounds on it, sometimes as heavy as a .110 E and feel it growls well. But that's me. My rule of thumb is to boost mids to increase growl, presence and cut-through ability. It may not sound as good solo but works in the mix. And, if possible, get the guitarists to cut their lows (a losing battle) by reminding them they are playing in a band not their bedrooms and they have to share the frequency space (those lows are mine gosh darn it!).