Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender growl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akhnaton, Jun 13, 2002.

1. akhnaton

akhnaton

Jun 7, 2002
    raleigh, nc
    Don't know if this is the right place to post this or not since i am new to the boards and to bass, so please bear with me and move it if it is in the wrong place.

Well with that aside I've tried to do several searches on fender growl and i really can't find a good example of this. Could someone please explain this growl to me? Also can you give some examples of songs where you really can hear this?

I just got a mexico jazz and it seems great to play and pretty versatile right out of the box (was impressed by this, guess the butchers at Mars Music hadn't touched it yet.) I also picked up an Ampeg ba112, and with this combo i can get pretty much any sound i want. Hopefully the fender can get that growl you are talking about just being stock? or does it need to be modded?

thanks in advance for your ideas

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Welcome to Talkbass dude! Yep, the Fender growl should be easy enough to get with a stock Fender!

I've got a P-bass Special and a Mexican Jazz Fretless both of which growl fine! I think the Jazz growls best with the neck pickup turned off and the bridge pickup up full. Then just do yourself some slides up to and down to some notes - hoepfully it should growl nicely for you!

3. akhnaton

akhnaton

Jun 7, 2002
    raleigh, nc
    great thanks,
    But what can be some examples of songs that have a lot of that fender growl in them?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The Castlevania tune in my sig was played on a MIM Fender Jazz. It's not a perfect example (maybe more "honk" than "growl"), but it's something. I've got a few (crappy) jams with my band that captured that growl pretty well... sorry but I've got a brain fart as for actual recordings.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Jack up your bridge pick-up(or cut your neck pu) and get a 15-band(a bit of overkill) and cut the very last freq, maybe the last two or three and just EQ the rest of it like you normally would. Cutting the lower frequencies gets rid of the smoothness of the sound and gives you lots of growl. Effect can be heard when going from high quality speakers(with low frequencies) and then going to something like headphones that only dip down to 50hz or so.

Edit: By the way, I don't actually own a Fender, but this works pretty good on my Rick, and I figure it works pretty much for all basses...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Man, ain't that the truth! When you type "Jazz bass growl" into google.com, Jaco's name comes up. Every self-respecting bassist should own, at least the first Jaco album. Even if you don't like jazz, hearing Continuum is worth the price of the CD. And it's only $11.99, new.;)

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh, and by the way, Akhnaton, welcome to Talkbass. You posted in the correct place. Don't be stranger around here. There is alot of great info and things to be learned from all these folks here.

9. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    therefore i have no self respect :)

and if that's bass growl i'm glad i got none :):)

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    (1) Take your Fender and do a smiley face EQ on your amp -that's NOT growl
    (2) Take your Fender and do a severe frown face EQ on your amp -THAT'S growl.

Although everybody talks about the Jazz Bass growl I have always thought that Precisions were equally growly when mid-adjusted.

11. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    To me, that gives you more honk then growl...maybe more of a evil sneer face EQ will do it ;)

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think "Cleopatra's Cat" by Spin Doctor's is a good example of growl, though I'm not sure if Mark White is playing a Jazz in that tune.

13. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Mark White used to play an Ibanez ATK. Later, he endorsed some custon bass (Trekker, maybe?)

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you look on the inside of the "Pocket Full of Kyrptonyte" sleeve, it shows Mark holding a Fender Jazz with diamond square inlays.

I remember he played those Ibanez ATK's.

I also remember he use to play this black bass with these crazy knobs on it.

15. CLICK HERE to hear my growling MIM Jazz on my version of Alain Caron's "Cherokee Drive".

16. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    XG: That's a great clip. But waaaaay too much growl for my taste! (I've probably mentioned that in other threads in which you've pointed out the clip.)

17. Thanks! I agree, it's a bit heavy on the growl, which is why I've not posted the entire tune (I have to re-record it). I just use the clip as a sample for threads like this.

X