Fender GTX-7 footswitch compatibility

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ddarrell2, Mar 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ddarrell2

ddarrell2

Nov 25, 2017
    Coloradotwanger likes this.
  2. What did you find out?

3. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    The GTX-7 works fine with a Studio 40.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  4. Thanks!

5. NickieT1999

NickieT1999

Jun 13, 2021
    So I bought both. The studio menu option clearly has the GTX-7 as an option. However, when you select it in the menu, the FX selection options are limited to default, unlike they are with the MGT-4. The regular amp settings seem to be working. I’m wondering if any of you have experienced this or know how to get it to work. Seems like this would be a firmware issue. I’d really like to keep the GTX and return the MGT. help! :)

6. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    On my Studio 40 with a GTX-7 connected, I get two choices: "First 5 (Default)", and "Categories". By "Categories", they mean the footswitches will turn effects on or off according to what category they fall under:
    1. Stomp
    2. Mod
    3. Delay
    4. Reverb
    5. Filters + Pitch

Do you not get the "Categories" option?

7. NickieT1999

NickieT1999

Jun 13, 2021
    No, I don’t. And I just updated the firmware. Odd. What version of the firmware do you have? Does the footswitc( somehow interfere with tone app? Shouldn’t, but this is a head scratcher. Btw, even the studio manual doesn’t say anything about this foot switch. Is there an new /updated manual?

8. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    The Tone app has something to do with the footswitch? I had no idea. I'm using the UI on the amp. Latest firmware - 3.0.23. The details about the GTX-7 are in the Mustang GTX series amp manuals.

9. NickieT1999

NickieT1999

Jun 13, 2021
    Oh, Im not saying the Tone app necessarily has anything to do with. I'm just reaching for straws, wondering why I can't assign my FX to buttons 1-5. It only gives me the option (default) and under "categories", there is nothing.

10. NickieT1999

NickieT1999

Jun 13, 2021
    So I get the categories option, but it doesn't list anything. What is the difference between the "default" and "category"? I'm new to all this:)

11. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    Default just means that each switch affects each effect in the signal chain in that order. So if you've got compressor, fuzz, octaver, chorus, and reverb, switch one turns the compressor on or off, switch two turns the fuzz on or off, and so on down the chain.

Categories switches the effects on and off according to what category they belong to, rather than according to their order in the signal chain. Stomp is all the various ODs, distortions, and fuzzes. Mod is anything with an LFO (phaser, flanger, chorus, tremolo, vibrato, plus the step filter and ring mod). I think delay, reverb, and filters + pitch are self-explanatory. I'm guessing the folks at Fender decided that dynamics and EQ effects should be always on, so if you're switching by category you'd better make sure they're on when you save the preset.

12. NickieT1999

NickieT1999

Jun 13, 2021
    I think I'm realizing where I'm off. The default setting simply takes whatever the first 5 mods you have an assigns it to your 1-5 buttons. The "category" option (as you already pointed out) simply assign button one to stomp, etc, etc. I was thrown off because for the MTG-4, you can decide which effect to assign to each button. Sorry for creating confusion:)

13. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    Not a problem. Fender haven't exactly gone out of their way to document this clearly. To find out how my footswitch works with my bass amp, I need to consult the guitar amp manual? Oy.

NickieT1999 and Coloradotwanger like this.