Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

-fender guitar amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Mar 4, 2004.

1. okay i was running low on cash and had to sell my ampeg svt combo amp , Im still running low but a friend of mine who has no clue is selling me her frontman 25r amp (25 watts rms) . I was thinking is there a danger if i use it as a bass amp ? any danger of blowing it up? shes selling it a 600 pesos ( 55 dlls) is it a good deal ?

on another topic. I like the tone I can get out of guitar amps but I was wondering if there is a pedal or a preamp or something that can give my a bass more bite because all the cheapo bass amps just sound like a big thoomp completly muffled out.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you play your bass loud through an open back combo amp, you will destroy the speaker.

My guess is that what you like about guitar amps is the extended high end response compared to a cheap bass amp. If you have a combo or speaker cabinet with a tweeter, my guess is that you'll enjoy the added clarity that the tweeter provides.

As for the price...you can see what they're going for on eBay, www.harmonycentral.com, or look at www.prepal.com (although I think that the prices aren't that accurate). Another good place to compare prices on used guitar amps is by searching on www.musicgoround.com.

Good luck!!!

3. I've played bass through a few different open-back guitar combos (Yamaha 4x12, Acoustic 2x10) much, much more that I'd like to admit. Never blew anything up. Always cranked the volume up to "rock band" levels.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Perhaps, but you're talking about '70s gear that was built like the proverbial brick outhouse....not a newish Fender combo.

5. True, but speaker technology hasn't changed much since then (driver = magnet, coil, cone, etc.).

Have you been lucky enough to blow out a guitar amp?