1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Gurus - 1960 Jazz... Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RTL, May 13, 2010.

1. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Okay, guys... Here's the deal...

A good friend of mine just recently decided to tell me that he's got a 1960 Jazz (sunburst/rosewood/stack knob, of course) in "very relic'd" condition that he'd be willing to sell to me for such an absurdly low price, I won't dare post it here.

The kicker? While beat, he's positive that it's all original! :hyper:

I'm not sure when I'll have the opportunity to look at it, but when I do, I'd like to be a little more informed than I am now.

Anything I should keep a special eye out for? I have no reason not to trust him, as he's got a bunch of vintage strats, les pauls, and a few other mid 60's Fender basses (which he will openly tell you are refins).

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

2. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    If it is all original and you want it...sell everything that isn't bolted down to get it!

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    This website does a pretty good overview of all things fender in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Should give you some points to look for when you check out the bass. A better option would be the fender bass book, if you want to slap down the cheddar to pick that up before you get the bass.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html#specs

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    "The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History" is a great book for dating parts on the bass. (Also a kickass book in general)

5. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Haha.. I knew I'd get a "Do a search" reply... ;)
    EDIT: Oh, nevermind :D I thought you were referring to THIS website. (The one we're on right now! Haha)

What I was mainly referring to, was the stuff that goes beyond the obvious (reverse tuners, string mutes, etc.)

6. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Good call!

Thanks!

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I forgot to add - IMO, even if there's a few things unoriginal - if you're getting a killer price, it's worth it IMO, unless you're just planning on flipping it...

I snagged a 62 P with a few mods for $950 from a guy locally. Unbelievable deal for a total player's bass.

Its a (poor) refin, has a jazz PU added, and it's wired funky, but the PU's/Neck/Body/Tuners/PG/bridge are original, so it was totally worth it to me - plus I play it every day, not stored in a vault somewhere.

9. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Even if the neck and body are the only original parts left, it's still a CRAZY deal. I couldn't even get a custom shop reissue for what I'd pay for this one!

I really don't plan on flipping it unless it's a total dog.. And I sure hope it's not!

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Good deal man - sounds like a no-brainer - why are you sticking around here? Go snatch her up and post some pics for us!!!

11. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Haha.. I'm waiting about as patiently as I can... The guy selling it, well.. He's all over the place, so I have to wait until he's in town before I can go see it.

Trust me... I'm DYING to see this thing.

I have a feeling that this will be the one 4-string bass that will survive in my collection :smug:

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    If you paid up to 4 digits it`s obviously a great deal.
    I also recommend the above mentioned book. Helped me a lot as a reference for dating Fender parts over the years.

And please .... buy that bass. You won`t see many of those.

13. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    If it is what he says it is, there's just no way I could pass it up...

14. codsack

codsack

Mar 9, 2008
    wilmington nc
    A 1960 Jazz is as close to the holy grail as you can get when you talk vintage.A stacker doesn't come along every day and to get one at a steal is something I as a vintage fender fanatic dream about .You won the lottery...don't let it get away!

15. I really really want that bass now.