1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Guru's - I need help fitting a pickguard.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Floridabwoy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I just bought a MIM Fender 50's Reissue in Fiesta Red (yes I finally got my Fiesta Red Bass) This one....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender--50s-Precision-Bass-511318-i1146856.gc

Well it comes with the Gold Pickguard and I want to replace it w. a brown tort pickguard. Well there are a thousand different Fender Tort pickguards. Which will fit w/o new holes, and using a dremel on the pickguard?

Links would be awesome!

Thanks!!!!

2. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    almost any pickguard dealer will use a carboard template if you send it in to cut it for you if youre that worried you can send in your pg and they can nail it dead on.

3. I doubt you'll find one that bolts right up. All the ones I'm aware of are for USA models, which have a different screw pattern. So, make new holes- no big deal.
    You may need to trim a bit around the neck heel as well.

4. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    haha... yeah a little worried about it. I destroyed a different pickguard on another bass trying to get it to fit.

5. Well, don't use a Dremel- that leads to tears. Go to Home Depot and buy a nice sharp file, a small one with a flat and a curved side- that's all you need to trim the heel area of the guard if need be. Easy work.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Trace your current PG and send it in to www.pickguards.com

They will tell you exactly which pickguard will fit it (they have hundreds of Fender PGs to reference) and for only a couple bucks more (if it doesn't have a drop-in replacement) will make one that fits.

7. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    ^
    or Pickguardian.

They've got nice tort in both red and brown.
    Send him a tracing (or better yet, your gold guard),
    and get exactly what you need.

Congrats on the Fiesta '50s. Let us know what you think
    of it.