1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Guys, Would you take a chance on this neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FunkHead, Jul 6, 2020.

1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    No offense intended, but I cant imagine paying anything approaching that for a 70’s CBS neck. In my day the CBS stuff was considered nothing special or outright bad, amazing what time and hype can do to the value of things. They put finish on necks for a reason, it generally seals them up so they aren’t absorbing and expiring a lot of water vapor seasonally. If it’s really been unfinished that long, I’d worry about bow or twist.

3. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks. I didn't even consider that. I wasn't sure if the seller meant No finish was ever applied or just the final "work" was not completed.

4. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    FunkHead likes this.
  5. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I concur with @Gilmourisgod.

I saw those posted on Reverb.

Reminded me of a proclaimed ex Gibson employee that picked sawed up pieces of Les Pauls out of the dumpster, glued em back together and tried to sell them at Vintage prices

Or the other proclaimed ex Gibson employee that had a plain maple blank that was suppose to be used for an early 335. this individual was looking for $1.2K

robert43, FunkHead and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    I think you have to ask why you are interested in that neck.

If you want something because of the collectible or sentimental value of owning an old neck of a specific brand, it might be better to get one that was actually sold as a finished, branded product. That will be more straightforward in terms of actually establishing the provenance of the neck and it's authenticity and value. "Unfinished" instrument parts are rarely considered special or rare. Just look at the stacks of unfinished necks and bodies that have sold over the last few decades from Grestch and Gibson and other major names as factories shut down or changed hands. If those sales were any indication, this unbranded neck is probably worth closer to $80 than $800+.

If you want something from that era because you believe that the necks from that era have some magic feature/material/construction method which makes them genuinely good necks, I think the same thing is probably true - you can probably do better for a fraction of the price. There are a handful of places which sell fairly period-correct necks for way less than $800ish. Even if you think old wood is magical, you could probably find a builder with a stash of 40 year old lumber to build one for cheaper.

So I guess I can't really answer the question except to say that I can't think of a criteria which would make me interested in that neck in the least.

7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input.

I did verify that there has never been a finish on the neck so it has been bare for it's whole life..

I still think that if it's straight and plays okay than it still has some value. What that value is remains unknown.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A neck claimed to be from the lowest point in Fender's quality history, with absolutely no proof of where it was made or who made it? what could possibly be wrong with this deal?

Hint: Leo never let anything go to waste (repainted bodies that didn't workout the first time, used business cards from people they fired for neck shims, the stories go on and on), and CBS (the owners from the period in question) didn't care if something was good or not - they shipped everything (hence the quality issues). Nobody in early Fender history ever "abandoned" anything.

Fender sells roasted necks nowadays for $330 - a recently made neck, who's provenance is known, and that has undergone a process that makes it more stable than what they made in the 1970's, for less than half the price of the neck you're considering. If I were you, I'd "abandon" this "deal" and think about that, if what you want is a good Fender neck.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  9. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Sure it has value. The same value as any other unfinished, unbranded, unknown neck. Probably in the realm of $100 or so?

People will probably buy a few of that guy's necks for the prices he's asking for them, but I really can't see any legitimate collector or retailer assigning any sort of value to them without a heck of a lot of evidence to establish that they're real. And even then I have a hard time believing that the market for a neck in that condition is very big, even if it is proven real. Again, because the two main reasons why people think they want old necks are better addressed by other options (a real branded neck if you want to show off that you've got a real one, or a precise aftermarket copy if you want the feel or sound of the real thing).

What are you going to do with this neck? Finish it and put a Fender logo on it? At that point, you might as well just buy a finished one, you'll come out ahead financially and have an easier time reselling it.

mikewalker, Delusionati and FunkHead like this.
  10. From what I'm looking at, there is nothing to me that absolutely would convince me that this is what it is claimed to be. You can buy lots and lots of Clint Eastwood necks ( . . . . you know, the 'Neck With No Name' . . . .) for lots less than that price.

FunkHead likes this.
  11. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Nope.

Buy the neck, not the story. Nothing at all says that neck was made any earlier than 2019 or so, other than a stamp anyone could fake. Even then, there's nothing magic that automatically makes an arbitrary 1973ish neck any better than any other.

Not to mention that production shops don't make much money wasting things. If it was "abandoned," there was likely a good reason for it. Things were messed up at Fender during the CBS era, but not that messed up.

Zoffy, mikewalker and FunkHead like this.
  12. Fender4Me

Fender4Me Supporting Member

Run Forrest Run........

FunkHead likes this.
  13. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks again folks. I definitely decided against this neck.

14. Good decision I think. It was overpriced anyway and of possibly dubious origin.

15. The red streak in the board up by the nut is somewhat suggestive of a Brazilian board, but I thought they’d already gone to Indian years before that ?.

FunkHead and SlingBlader like this.
  16. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Fender Guys, Would you take a chance on this neck?

Nope. I don’t buy the story and I wouldn’t buy the neck.

FunkHead and Dabndug like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I'm not one of you Fender clairvoyants able to tell genuine from a good fake in a grainy photo.
    But....
    That's a lot for "maybe" a half-finished Fender but no providence and no decals and, and, and...

$115 IF the truss turns. Story or not, that's best case a mid-level replacement neck that still needs work to use.

18. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    To answer your question: I would not take a change on that neck, no way!

19. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Sounds fishy. And those dots inlays look white, or at least a very cheap version of pearl, with no patterns at all on them ...

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not a shred of proof that it is what the seller claims it is either.

IngloriousOz likes this.