Fender Headstock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Feb 2, 2002.

1. I am customizing a bass, and I have a Fender fretless neck, but want to do something about the headstock. It's not that it's ugly, but I just don't want it to look like a Fender clone. Is it ok for me to carve into the headstock? Is there anything I should be cautious of if I do? Any suggestions on what would look cool?

My vision of the bass is a mahogany body, natural stain, P-J pick-ups, preamp, maybe a black customized pickguard. I plan on carving the body into a somewhat unique body style, but nothing too extravagant like the B.C "Beast."

What do you guys think?
  2. I don't think the Fender headstock leaves alot of room to carve into...
  3. you could do the same as the Hot-wire bass...

they're the best jazzbasses around, and made in Germany, EUROPE!!!! :D

4. AllodoX, thanks for the pic. I figure thats about the only headstock mod I can do without some serious work. I thought about drilling some new holes for the D and G tuning heads on the right side/ bottom, but I don't have any idea if it would even work, and if it didn't then I spent all that time and money to have a totally worthless fretless neck. :eek:

Oh well, a Fender clone is better than nothing I guess. :rolleyes:
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    How 'bout this variation of AllodoX's suggestion?[​IMG]

EDIT: Why's mine so tiny?
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Did Ibanez used to have a headstock like that on their Fender clones? Maybe it was just one at Bunny Bass or something.
  7. Hategear, I can't see the pic you posted, but I think I'm going to embellish on the pic AllodoX posted. I think I'm gonna make the "hook" a little deeper and longer and shave a bit off the bottom bump. I just strippped down the headstock tonight, and penciled in the cut lines and it looks pretty good. I'm taking pictures as I go along and will post them up in sequence when I finish. Another couple coats of polycrylic on the fretboard and it should be good to go. It's smooth as it is after two coats, but I want it smooth like butta'. :p

Thanks for the input fellas.
  8. You could also do routing or even carve the end into a swirl on the surface to mimic a violin head or bevel the edges even.
  9. Well, I've got the main cuts done, and just need to sand it down. I'm going to bevel the edges and maybe get a custom inlay, or do my own inlay on the headstock. Not sure what else to do to it yet, other than restain it to match the mahogany body.
  10. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I created my own bass using parts. The neck is a Dimarzio w/ rosewood board and a blank headstock. As you know the Fender logos are stickers so I did some searching looking for suitable material that I could print on and adhere to the headstock. I finally found clear printable stock by I believe Avery that is used in laser and ink jet printers. I just printed what I wanted cut to the shape I wanted and stuck it on the headstock. Then Icvered it over w/ a clear laquer.