1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender High Mass Bridge vs. regular - screw compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bholder, Mar 26, 2017.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Are Fender High Mass bridges mounting screw-hole compatible with their regular ones? I could check for myself but don't feel like disassembling - anyone happen to know offhand? Looks likely?

2. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess."

Nov 15, 2012
    Augusta, GA
    The High Mass vintage bridge will drop right into any American Standard bass. I swapped the original bridge on my '95 American Standard with one. Love it.

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Ok great, thanks. I'm thinking of pulling mine off and selling it, replacing it with a Hipshot with Fender compatability, just because black would match so much better on this particular bass. :D

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ooh!

send me the old one, i'll take it over pretty much any other bass bridge out there! low mass, steel saddles, string-through-only so it's always rock-solid, and unlike the later versions with the bigger grooves on the low saddles you can actually get all 4 strings at a perfectly equal distance from each other.

petrus61 likes this.
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what do you mean by "regular"?

the real difference is between the string-through-body ones and the top-mount ones. the string-throughs all use 3 screws, starting with the original early '50s bridges. the top-mounts all use 5 screws.

the two overall types are not swappable without surgery.

sissy kathy likes this.
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I don't think there's a Hipshot available that is a direct replacement for the 3 hole Fender HMV, or the earlier 3 hole variant.

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I meant the top mount 5 hole type. The Hipshot "Fender compatible" style is 3 holes, uses the center and outer 2 Fender holes leaving 2 empty.

8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    May be putting it up in the classifieds, will try to remember to let you know. :)

9. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan Guest

Jan 24, 2016
    anybody know of a replacement for High mass bridge on american pro precision bass?? I don't like it on my american fender pro P bass.........can't get strings low enough action before they fret buzz out so i swapped out the neck for a jazz bass neck and want to replace High mass Bridge.... anybody know of a replacement?? thanks

10. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I'm with @walterw on this, I'm pretty sure the holes are different spacing.

11. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    The 5 screw top load bridges are the same. Just put an omega bridge on my Fender American Special Precision-perfect fit, so the fender high mass should drop right in.