fender high way 1 jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Jan 17, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    how does the quality compare to the american and american deluxe?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never heard of this model. Is it new from Namm? Do you have a link from the Fender site?
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm not positive but I think the price is around $950 canadian (don't know if that's reatail or not). That would come to about $600 american. Not bad eh?

They were selling that type of fender in a strat before christmas at one of my local guitar shops and that was the price.
  4. I just check the specs on the MIM Fender P-Bass and the Highway 1 P-Bass, but I don't notice a difference other than finishes and colors. :confused:
  5. My local store has had the Strats for a while. My understanding is that there were a lot of American Standard parts, so Fender assembled them, sprayed on the matte finishes and is selling them as the Hwy 101 Series. That's what I was told about the Strats.
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So does that mean that they are American?

Or are they American parts, but assembled in Mexico?

Or are they a mixture of some American and some Mexican parts?

It's kind of weird. Sounds like time to call Fender! BRB....
  7. Like I said, I only saw the Strats. I didn't really question too deeply nor look too closely (I've had enough Strats, thank you). They looked like the old American Std. Strats but the finishes look like they were brushed on semi-gloss enamel...like you use to paint the bathroom or kitchen. I'd be interested to see the basses, though. If the price was right and the quality was good, I'd buy one and refinish it.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I didn't catch Fender before they closed. It took me too long to find their telephone number... Lousy web-designers... ;)
  9. Thanks to some contact at a GC grand opening the other nite in Fender's adopten hometown of Snottsdale, AZ, I can tell you the following:

The Hwy 1 Series is MIA duplication of the Standard (MIM) instruments. For me this means I can put on a Badass II and have great playability & tone and MIA braggin' rights for about $150us less than an AmStd version of the same instrument. The drawbacks are stringing thru the bridge rather than the body, and I am also unclear as to whether or not the Hwy1s have graphite bars in the neck.
  10. coolhanddan

May 16, 2002
    Central NJ
    Anybody know if they will be offering a fretless version of the US 1?
  11. I dont see any drawback to not being able to string thru the body. Nor do I see the necessity for a Badass bridge. I've had both of those options, and thought they were both a waste of time, but that's me!
  12. Man,I think these basses (and the guitars for that matter) are a sweet deal. I will probably own one in a few weeks. I have been looking for a J-bass in this price range for a while. I was thinking used,but why not buy a new one at that price,right? That way I'm not dealing with the whole Ebay,shipping,rip-off,stress nightmare.
  13. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    The specs on the website say it has a "C" neck. Isn't that a P-Bass neck?

I've only seen the guitars and they were only 899. canadian. They sound like a pretty sweet deal.
  14. Yea they look nice, but I don't see one with a maple board:mad: I like maple boards..Are they going to have one in maple?????

15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought the Highway-models have American parts but are assembled and finished in Mexico :confused:
  16. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    crimson transparent is one of my fav finishes.

If the body woods are of good quality then I'd say hot rod her.

If I were in the position to get this bass I'd take the drill to it:eek:

Yes, I know, I know but I would love the extra sustain of the neck string through body bridge.