Fender Highway 1 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stompboxx, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Just picked up a Highway one P-Bass. Threw some Labella flats on her and wow, very nice tone. Had some doubts because of price ( $600 ) But was surprised.
    Just looking for anyone who has one, what their input is on it.
  2. zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    I too have a highway 1 p bass. I love it.

It has the chromes on it. It's a very "musical' bass. Everything sounds great on it, solid as a rock, and a neck to die for.

I'm very happy with it.
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i have a hwy. 1 jazz that I've had for about 6 months now and I love it. I have chromes on mine as well.....
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've got a Highway1 P-Bass, and have done some simple cosmetic modifications. My tort pickguard, thumbrest and an ashtray make it quite the looker. I swapped out the pickup for a DiMarzio Split P, but liked the stock tone so much that I switched back and sold the DM.

I think it's a great bass for the price. True, for an extra couple hundred bucks you could have just gotten an American, and that's what most people are quick to point out. In my case, I found a bass that played great and sounded great, and it was at a price I was willing to pay for it. The couple I was able to play had very nice necks, and their construction is pretty top notch. That bass has been my main gigging bass for over a year, covering a whole slew of musical styles. Quite a workhorse bass! Once I get my Marcus Miller Jazz bass and my P doesn't have to cover so much ground, I'm going to put some flats on it, too.

What finish did you get?
  5. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    highway 1's are great. played a jazz highway 1 and a p highway 1 last week. super fast neck. really got me GaSsing for it. plus it is made in the U.S too. So, I would definitely buy this rather than a American Standard.
  6. I purchased the Honey Blonde. Switched the white pick guard out for a 62 tortous shell and put the finger rest on it. Looks very cool. I also own a 75 Jazz which I love, but it is great having that big fat bottom of a P-Bass. One advantage for me is the wieght of it. I can play it for 3 hours and still feel good. At one time I believed you needed a heavy bass to get a big bottom but I was wrong. So for the money, it was well spent in my eyes.
  7. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I don't own one, but on the subject of Highway One vs American, I much prefer the H1 series, as the nirtrocellulose finish and the trans finish make for great sound and looks...
  8. They want $AU 1300 - $AU 1500 (~$1100 US) for highway 1 bass here in Australia and they market them as "American Made - Highway 1" :spit:

Fenders are rip offs in Oz...fo sho!
  9. They are an Americian made guitar. Wow prices over there are wacked. Have you got a friend in the states? Have him buy it and ship it to ya. Save you 3 or 4 hundred bucks.
  10. I have plenty of friends in the States, I lived there the 1st 35 years of my life :)

Yes, prices for musical gear are high (it has much to do with supply and demand and volume).

However, Fenders are notoriously high here.
  11. Is the neck thick? Does it come ina maple neck?
  12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

Is this what we have come to? Anything below a grand *might* be a bad bass?
  13. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    No, the neck is not thick and I happen to like the profile much better than the higher-priced American Series Jazzes. Don't believe they are available in maple. Check Fender's website.