1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonote49, Jun 10, 2003.

1. My local dealer finally got the Hwy 1 Jazz Bass he ordered months ago and I had the opportunity to play it yesterday. If I were a betting man, I'd bet Fender is finding a use for leftover American Standard parts. That isn't a slam...the bass played fine and sounded fine. The only beef I had was a minor cosmetic issue...the rosewood fingerboard was a little bit rough along the edges, perhaps from when the final fretwork was completed. Otherwise, the workmanship was very good. There was a bit more relief in the neck than I like but the tech hadn't set it up yet (because I was hassling him to hand it over!). The tuners appear to be the same as those on the MIM's and the bridge is a vintage style (with lots of grooves in the saddles). All in all it seems to be a decent American made bass for about $650 with a gig bag. Now I need to see a HWY 1 P-Bass...

2. The bass had the red satin finish. Personally, I don't care for any the satin finishes although the sunburst isn't too bad. At least the bass isn't available in navy blue...they have a navy blue Hwy 1 Strat that that just defines ugly!

3. Mine is Honey Blonde and I installed a Badass II bridge. I dig it but my Warwick is still the bomb.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I wonder how much the Hwy 1's will fetch on the used market as they start popping up there.....

Anyway, I've played a Hwy 1 P and it was ok, but for the money I could find a used MIA Standard series and imo have a little more Bass for my money(and probably a better resale value too).