Fender Highway 1 jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bloodandwhiskey, Dec 30, 2004.

1. hello again, i've been looking for a new bass and have really liked the fender highway 1 jazz. so my question is: do any of you own one? what(if any) problems have you had wiht it? and lastly what are some other simlairly priced($600-$900 cdn) basses i should also look at?

2. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I very nearly bought one a few months ago when I saw it on sale for US$319 at GC. After comparing it to the new Standard, I passed, even at that price.

At the regular price they are not a very good value as they are very close to being identical to the new MIM Standard "Upgrade." The "MIA-ness" of the H1 is very exaggerated.

If you like this configuration, I suggest you save yourself some money and go the the new Standard "Upgrade." For all practical purposes, it's the same bass. There are slightly different MIM pickups (I saw some sites saying that the first "Upgrades" had the same MIM "Vintage" pickups as the H1, but that's apparently changed and the Upgrade has its own pickup now), but that's the largest equipment difference...and the Standard has a nicer finish.
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Frankly, I like the HWY 1s and I really like the neck profile. The only problem is quality control so pick and choose one where the pickups, neck and bridge line up properly. Another decent bass in that price range is the MIM '60's Classic (I think they call it). I've played both of them and liked them.
  4. JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    in my opinion, the MIM jazz bass is amazing value... as long as you go out and play through them and get the right one. I have a MIM jazz and I've liked better than americans ive played, i just got lucky and found a really MIM. But if you want to stick to the 600-900 price range... check out the marcus miller 4 string... man, from the first moment i picked that up I loved that thing, great tone and feel, and the value is incredible. I dont have much experience with the highway 1's but I just wanted to add a few more options to the mix
  5. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Currently, the H1 neck/tuners assembly is apparently identical to the MIM Standard Upgrade's except for the decal. There's some variation in the profile from one batch to the next, or seems so, and a tiny little bit seems like a lot to your hand.

The MIM '60s Classic has the same pickup as the H1, the MIM "Vintage," and the bass is very close to the H1.

Alignment can usually be trued up on a Fender some by reseating the neck, but not always, and price is no factor in whether or not your example will be all cockeyed.

Frankly, the QC on both Corona and Ensenada product is so spotty these days that you have to cherrypick to get a well-made and well-detailed example and it could just as likely come from one side of the border as the other. :meh:

The actual parts & materials differences in the H1 and the MIMs we've mentioned here are so minor as to be negligible and certainly don't justify the H1's hefty price differential, especially considering the H1's cut-price matte acrylic finish.

The plain truth is the the H1 line is marketed to people who have unreasoning prejudices against non-US instruments...and makes them pay through the nose for it.

That's OK...they deserve it. :D
  6. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The Miller is CIJ by Fujigen Gakki.

The CIJ Fenders are the best production Fenders made in terms of build and workmanship.

After much frustration with the MIA and MIM product, I now only buy Asian Fenders.

It's been my experience that Fender players who really pay attention to things like build quality and value eventually come around to the same conclusion.

I'm not a big fan of actives, but I may wind up with a Miller anyway at some point. I'm sure it's a great bass.
  7. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I had a US1 jazz for a couple of months and sold it because I already have a very good jazz bass and I wanted something different. I have played MIM jazzes and I have never been too impressed with their sound, the US1 that I owned sounded great. It had alot of growl and character to the tone but it also had a bit of 60 cycle hum, as is to be expected for a mid priced bass with single coil pick ups. I think you can get a Musicman Sub for about the same price, the G&L Tribute series basses are great, you can find some Lkalnd 55-01's for that price used and they are a great bass. Try one in the store and see what you think. I sold my US1 for $450.00 and it was in brand new condition.
  8. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    There was a new S.U.B. right next to the H1 on sale for the same price, US$319.99. I bought it instead, out of curiosity more than anything else, as I'd never had a Music Man.

It's a surprisingly great bass. Really fine workmanship, nice fretwork, incredibly rugged gig-proof finish. The only minus is the weight. It's a slab body and comes in at well over ten pounds.
  9. I'm late on this thread, but I own a Classic 60's Jazz and played a Hwy1. I'm not sure, but it seems like the Classic has US parts assembled in Mexico and the Hwy1 has Mexican parts assembled in the US. I'll take the Classic and save myself a hundred bucks. They do share the same pups, however.
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    AS an owner of a MIA Deluxe four I believe that the best values in the Fender Line are the MIJ Marcus Millers and Geddy Lee's, You might also look at the Lakland Daryl Jones or Joe Osborns, They also seem to be more consistant then Fender. In fact they play and sound better (more consistant quality) the most of the MIA's including the FMT's I've played and the Deluxes! Also don't be afraid of used stuff, the only time I buy new is when something comes along that blows away the new market like the Metros, where there isn't alot of used stuff comparible. There are a lot of Marcus Millers available used and a few Skylines out there too, Many of the on line stores offer try out warrenty's on used items.
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have one, purchased in May 2004.
    I had to adjust the action after a few weeks of use. The neck seemed to move a little. But nothing wrong.
    The musicians I play with all have 20+ years of professional experience and are blown away by my tone. I also love it.
    That's a good bass. Even when I get a higher end bass (which I want to), I'll keep this bass.

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I also own a 60's jazz in Burgundy Mist and to me it seems like the best value Fender has out there. I have played a few Hwy1's that felt pretty good but to me the Classic felt like a higher quality instrument. We need to get over WHERE a bass is made and focus on HOW it plays and sounds. :p
  13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Don't know the 60's jazz other than pics and specs on the Fender website, but I believe this kind of bass gets all its sound dimension when stringed with flats.

In another hand, if one morning you are awaken by huge growlings, don't shout to your dog (especially if your have no dog :D ). Better go downstairs and then you'll discover your father / mother / brother / sister playing hard on the strings.
    That's what I do with my Hyw1 J (even had to upper the action), and even God himself (but as everyone knows he has a SVT), I don't know many players who can get that huge growl from a single basic cheap passive 4 string... Really.