1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Highway 1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phallpdx, Jul 26, 2007.

1. phallpdx

phallpdx

Jun 2, 2007
    What are your opinions of the new Highway One and it's upgrades? Has anyone played one of these?/is it worth it to buy it? I am looking for a mid-priced 4 string and am seriously considering picking one of these badboys up -- the new finish is amazing, and I am really glad they added the bada$$ II standard.

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I love mine and there is plenty of info to be found in a search...

3. i have a new hwy 1 p bass in honey blonde. it absolutely kills. its my go to bass, for recording and live. i added a pickup cover on mine ala jamerson style. now all i need to do is find a bridge cover that fits the badass.

id recommend them, great bass for the money.

4. Nope, it's the worst paint I've EVER seen on a bass, ever. There are really large patches on the top of my Jazz that have just peeled off. And I'm not hard on my basses. It sounds sooo good though so I'm going to get it repainted by a reliable luthier istead of swapping it for a MIA Jazz.

Just to make it clear, they sound GREAT!!

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Duff:

Mine is Honey Blonde as well. I recently put a black pearloid pickguard on it. Looks ok, but still want to try a brown tort...

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thats exactly what happened to my MK1 HW1 Jazz. I dont use it now as ive gone to 5 strings but it plays so well i cant get rid of it.

7. brown tort would look good i think. id also like to try maybe a white pearloid. surprised the black doesn't look good.

8. to me paint don't matter on a bass, its all about the sound. id take a beat to death bass thats sounds killer over a gourgeous inlaid neck, custom paint job bass that sounds crap. i guess im not picky. to each there own.

9. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    The black pearloid does look pretty good, but I've always liked tort and and haven't seen it paired with honey blonde. I think it might work even better...

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I agree. I look after my Bass(s) but i use them as well. I dont really mind if i get dents or what ever as long as the bass plays and sounds good. But when the finish started falling off a £600 bass just two weeks after buying it new then im not happy about it.

11. Exactly my feeling on the whole situation. Sounds awesome, plays really well but the finish is as just pathetic. I think it's rude for a company to sell a product that starts falling apart almost the moment you leave the shop.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Agreed.
    I once read that its designed that way so you get a vintage looking bass quicker. personally i think thats rubbish

13. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    I don't own one but would love to have one.I have tried out both models and they both sound and play great.Fender hit the bullseye on this one with value,price,and construction.I'm not that crazy about the finish but for way under a grand I can't complain.The graphite reinforced neck more then makes up for any shortcomings.

14. Just because Im a nice guy... :smug:

My old bass:

DSC00508.

15. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I've got a honey blonde P as well. No problems with the finish under extreme use and temp changes. Plays and sounds excellent - and oddly it is the bass of mine that gets the most compliments on the looks - which makes absolutely no sense to me.

16. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    i bought my upgraded hwy 1 about a month ago and i'm really happy with it, i put on a set of TI-flats yesterday so they have to mellow down a bit but the bass really sings. one thing that struck me was how easy it was to set the neck relief, i guess that has to do with the stabilising rods in the neck.

only one problem, the A string nut slot is too wide, especially for the TI's A string which is .070, so im trying to fix this with a bit of superglue, it's drying as i write so i don't know yet how good it'll work.

btw, what material is the nut? if you look closely it looks like bone or something even though i doubt it is!

17. It's a clever exuse for a useless paint job. If it did what ithey say it would then there'd be no problem. But it doesn't look like natural aging, just chipped paint!! I'll post a before and after pic when I get it repainted in the next few weeks.

18. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Wow, that nitro paint is so thin, its difficult to imagine it flaking off...

19. radec52

radec52

Jan 20, 2007
    I bought a Hwy 1 Jazz about 9 months ago and have played it daily since. In my case the finish (3 color SB)has held up very well. The areas that contact clothing now have a polished look that I think is beautiful. I far prefer its finish to a poly finish. Sound wise its just incredible. I paid $649 for it at my local music store, including the gig bag. For the money I don't think I could have done any better. I would definitely consider one.

20. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Has anyone changed out the stock pups I their HW1-P? If so, with what? I was considering Nord NP4, but Jay at Blueberry Hill said it would need to be custom wound (available at no extra charge) to accomodate the GreaseBucket tone circuit. Either that or change out the stock electronics, which I am not opposed to doing...