Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Highway 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyScrote, Aug 5, 2003.

1. JimmyScrote

JimmyScrote

Aug 2, 2003
    ok, i hope this hasnt already been asked, but has anyone played, or currently own, one of the new fender highway p-basses? if so i wanted to get your view on it. how does it sound, feel, etc? i havent gotten a chance to go to guitar center to find out for myself so your input would be excellent. thanks guys.

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I played a HW1 Jbass at my local CG and it was nice, it actually played better than the American Std J next to it.. I didn't try it out in dept but I played it for about 10 minuets and I liked it.

3. diskette7

diskette7

May 25, 2003
    great question. i bought a highway p bass about a month ago and i love it. by no means am i a bass conessiour, but my goal was to find a mid-range priced bass that would suit my style (classic and alternative rock). the tone is surprisingly punchy, which is excellent, because while i was waiting for it to arrive, I was thinking i made the wrong decision and should have gone with a jazz bass. but it's great. the construction is solid, and the satin finish is awesome.

if i had any gripe about it, it would be that they don't offer these in maple fretboards. the highway strats and teles offer maple, so i don't know why the basses don't. but thankfully, i've been able to achieve a fairly bright, punchy sound anyway with the rosewood.

so that's my review. if you want to know anything else, just ask.