1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Highway 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyScrote, Aug 5, 2003.

1. JimmyScrote

JimmyScrote

Aug 2, 2003
    ok, i hope this hasnt already been asked, but has anyone played, or currently own, one of the new fender highway p-basses? if so i wanted to get your view on it. how does it sound, feel, etc? i havent gotten a chance to go to guitar center to find out for myself so your input would be excellent. thanks guys.

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I played a HW1 Jbass at my local CG and it was nice, it actually played better than the American Std J next to it.. I didn't try it out in dept but I played it for about 10 minuets and I liked it.

3. diskette7

diskette7

May 25, 2003
    great question. i bought a highway p bass about a month ago and i love it. by no means am i a bass conessiour, but my goal was to find a mid-range priced bass that would suit my style (classic and alternative rock). the tone is surprisingly punchy, which is excellent, because while i was waiting for it to arrive, I was thinking i made the wrong decision and should have gone with a jazz bass. but it's great. the construction is solid, and the satin finish is awesome.

if i had any gripe about it, it would be that they don't offer these in maple fretboards. the highway strats and teles offer maple, so i don't know why the basses don't. but thankfully, i've been able to achieve a fairly bright, punchy sound anyway with the rosewood.

so that's my review. if you want to know anything else, just ask.