1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Highway Jazz Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basssoundbass, Jan 1, 2012.

1. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    How good are the pick up's in a 2005 Fender Highway Jazz bass, and would I benefit a great deal if I changed the pickup for something else.

I use flatwound strings and currently have D'addario Chromes on the bass and have also replaced the bridge with a Leo Quann II.

2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I recently did a pick-up swap-out on my Highway One Jazz Bass, the pick-ups that came with it were ...well just O.K ... I installed "Fender's Custom Shop's 60"s Pick-ups" and restrung the bass with TI Flatwounds, made a huge improvement ...IMHO

So ... Yes it will make a noticeable difference ... to my ears

As a side-note....I left the Greasebucket tone circuit as is, as it sounds good to my ears, others may disagree thou ....

3. BigDaddyRob

BigDaddyRob

Dec 26, 2006
    I've got 2006 Highway 1 Jazz and had one end of the winding come loose from the solder joint on the bridge pickup. Rather than repairing it, I swapped 'em out for a pair of Custom Shop 60's like jastacey did. Made a huge improvement in the sound of the bass. Higher output, better-defined mids. Just a better sound all the way around. I'm running Sunbeams, both before and after the swap.