1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Highway One Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 12, 2012.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    I have been eyeing a made in USA 2003 Fender Highway One Precision bass a guy is selling for around $600 USD. It is used and does have some ware (it has the nitro finish), but that does not bother me. First off is it a fair price? Also a few things confuse me about it. First is where you adjust the truss rod is not down by the body where typically it is found on these basses and second this bass features what looks like a standard bridge and not a Bad Ass II bridge like I have seen on other HW1 basses. Could it be because it is a 2003 model and those features were not implemented until later year HW1 models? Feel free to share your experiences with a HW1 Precision as well ;).

2. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    I have a 2009 and love it. However I bought my new for about 650 and it has BAII plus more importantly - the graphite reinforced neck. This is a big upgrade and I don't think the older ones had it. IMO I would not pay 600 for a older HWY1 model. You could find a much newer one for that and it would have a few upgrades.

3. You can snag a brand new Highway One Precision for around $775, so $600 for an 8 year old model is not that great of a deal.

I agree that finding a newer model (2006+) for that kind of cash is a better course of action, considering you would get the bridge and neck upgrades, as well as the Greasebucket tone circuit (up to you to decide if that's an upgrade or not). The early (2003-2005) models were called Highway 1, while the later versions had the spelling of the name changed to Highway One.

wvbass likes this.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed - pass on the '03 for that kind of money...

- georgestrings

5. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the responses guys, I was starting to think the same thing, but figured I would ask the TB community. I was looking around and seen newer ones can be had for about $100-200 more. I am basically looking for a second bass and thought I would get something a little "higher up" then the MIM Precision I am using now. How does the HW1 compare to a MIM Precision anyone know? Besides the obvious supposed USA build quality. I was also just looking at pulling the trigger on a American made Precision as well, but wanted to check into the HW1's first.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. I had a 2002 Highway 1 Jazz bass and it definitely did not have the badass bridge yet. I sold it to a friend about a year ago for 650$ and I still regret it. That bass had something special that I can't find in any other US made Jazz basses. They lacked the small upgrades but they were definitely better build than the recent ones IMO. It had a nice mate finish opposed to the glossy ones we can find on more recent ones.

Try it first and try to lower the price. You might fall in love.

7. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    I gotcha. I'm referring to a Precision bass in my thread, but I am sure the Jazzes are just as nice. I have just never been a fan of Jazz basses in general...yeah call me crazy. Did your bass have the nitro finish? It's kinda cool that you can see the grain and did it ware fast?

The guy selling it asked me to pitch him a offer, so having said that what do you all think would be a fair offer for both of us for me to pitch to him?

8. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I had one of the newer Hwy1 J-basses, I just didn't like the grease bucket so I ditched the resistor. Without that, it was still a nice instrument. Check some Highways on TB, I remember seeing them on several occasions withOUT the Badass.

Random side note - if you're looking for a Precision that's "a step up" from your MIM, have you considered G&L SB-1? One of those (or SB-2) could be had for $650.

9. Yeah, it had the nitro finish. Just the best finish out there really IMO. As of about the wear on the finish, I don't think I can pitch in as much info here because for a while I switched to drums and it just remained under my bed in a case for about 4 years without anyone touching it. I know...

The guy I sold it to just bought a 1987 Rick 4003 to be his main axe and use the Fender as a backup. In the end, it went the other way around. The jazz just destroyed the Rick's tone. I think he might be selling the Rick soon.

For a P, I think I wouldn't offer more than 500$ since I'm not the biggest P fan. Like everyone says, they're now selling for about 775$. Best thing is to try it first. You might also need to make a setup on it since it's nearly 10 years old, consider this as an added cost in your price negociation.

10. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the responses guys

11. BTW Highway Ones are phased out, some places still have them but the inventory is running out. I love my Highway One Precision, 2010 I think (or 2011, need to check the build date based on the serial number.)

Yes, nitro finish is thin, so after some time of real use it will look like a true road-worn bass.

12. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Gotcha. Again I am not appraiser and not really sure the value of the bass I have brought into question. A reasonable fair price could be?

13. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Awesome bass. I love mine. The pickups sound great. I have had issues with the MIM's and the necks moving with change of seasons. The graphite reinforced neck makes a huge difference. I love the nitro. I personally would rather spend a couple hundred more and get the upgrades. I would pass on a 2003. That's just me....

14. lewink

lewink

Jul 19, 2009
    Baldwinsville N.Y.
    How about $300 for 2003 highway one with SD pick up?

PawleeP and Jeff Williams like this.
  15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Is the HWY1 a nitro finish? I thought the first generation was a this poly. Mine doesn't seem to be nitro.

As far as price goes, that is a tough call. Play it. Mine is one of the best playing P basses I have touched.

Edit: body is acrylic, not nitro.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  16. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    I had a 2008 Highway One I sold for 550. They do go for about 550 to 700 on CL. If you play it and love it pull the trigger. Offer 500 on it and see what happens. I could have got 600 for mine but I needed to sell it fast due to a new bass purchase I had made. I took the first offer.

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Prior to 2006, they were called "Highway 1" basses. In 2006, they became "Highway One" (the "one" spelled out instead of the numeral), and included the Badass bridge. I've owned both (a Highway 1 Jazz) and a Highway One Precision (as well as a Highway 1 Strat). They were both good basses.

Klejst, I'm not sure where you live. If you're in the U.S., I don't thing $600.00 is much of a bargain. I think you could do better. If you're somewhere outside the U.S., it might be a pretty good deal.

PawleeP likes this.