1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Highway One series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Does anyone have any tidbits of info about this series? A music store nearby has one, and I tried it. GAS ensued.

Apparently the series is discontinued, which would explain why the bass, despite being a MIA Jazz, was less than $1000. :hyper:

I may have an object to save my money towards. After I get a legitimate amp.

But does anyone have any little bits of info about it? I couldn't figure out what exactly made them different from, say, a Standard or Deluxe.

2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Even before these things were discontinued, they were less than $1000. I usually saw them for like $750. They used a nitro finish instead of the standard poly that usually comes on Fenders. They also have Greasebucket tone circuits, a Badass bridge, and the 70's style logo.

3. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    That's interesting. I'll have to keep my eye on that one: it's stayed on the wall pretty long. I don't think there's much of a bass market in my neighborhood. :D

4. They are great buys. I have owned many P's over the years and my Highway One was my favorite in comparison to everything from Squiers to Laklands to 70's Fenders. I loved the feel of the neck and loved the finish (I had one of the fairly elusive trans white ones). Some don't like the greasebucket circuit. My ears liked it just fine. I only sold it b/c I try to only have a couple basses and old G&L 2000E's nail that P vibe IMO. .

I would hunt for one in the classifieds here. $600 or so for one in great shape, possibly less.

5. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    The Highway One is pretty cool. Nice tones, really nice neck and a good price. I think they're definitely worth buying if you're looking for a MIA Fender without breaking your bank account.

6. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    If it's been there a while, you could probably talk them down on it. How much are they asking for it?

7. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    It's currently at $799. I'm nowhere near that in money, so I'll have to save up.

8. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I hope I don't come off sounding like a jerk, but that's honestly not a great deal, especially if it's been there a while like you said. I'd definitely try to talk them down. That price isn't too far off from the new American Specials.

On the other hand, if you really like Highway 1 series, they are discontinued so they will be getting harder to find.

It could never hurt to look at the Highway 1 offerings on eBay either, even if it's just for a pricing guide.

9. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    I guess I'll have to learn how to do that...I always feel like a jerk when I try to haggle.

10. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    No reason to feel like a jerk when YOU are going to be paying THEM. Anyways, just mention that you are aware that it's been in the store a while and that the Highway One series has been replaced by the American Special series. Just ask "Can you do anything better on the price?" Or something like "Would you take $700 right now?" The worst they can say is no. Chances are, they'll take your offer and be happy to have moved it out.

11. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    Yeah...unfortunately, I don't have $700. And won't for a while. A LONG while. Hopefully it'll still be there when I have the $700. :)

12. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Sorry, I meant the "700 right now" thing for you to say when you actually do go to buy it, whenever that is. Even if you can afford the full price, no reason to pay it if you can get it cheaper. Anyways, good luck saving up and I hope it's still there when you have enough!

13. Hamlet7768

Jun 5, 2011
    Thanks. I'm actually really happy because I like Jazz basses again now. I had a strange experience with one that felt horrible a few weeks ago. Really heavy, hurt my leg, not very well set-up, methinks.

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Since you are in no hurry, can I respectfully suggest you do some research ... there SO MUCH on here about the Highway Series basses, both 1 and ONE, that you will be reading for a week if you speed read ... search both the number, and then the word ... and then search 'highway' and then 'hwy' ...

.. keep in mind, there is also a lot of 'misinformation' about these, and in most cases complete confusion about the interchange of the terms 'Hwy 1' and 'Hwy ONE', ... if you read, you will hopefully understand what I mean by that ... because the terms describe two different things

15. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    It's funny that you mention that, because I had a similar experience. Two years ago when I was 16 I bought an American Standard Jazz, which I loved at first but after a while I hated it. Had a bunch of problems with it. It was a stupid buy. Traded it and some cash for a USA Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling. Like you, that one put me off of Jazzes for a while. A couple months ago however I played two that blew me away, and bought the better of the two, an American Deluxe Jazz. It's a FANTASTIC bass.

16. I liked them and the Specials. I don't get why so many people loved the HWY1 but hate the Special.

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ..Maybe because the HWY 1 came with a non graphite supported neck, and a threaded saddle vintage bridge, and it was one of the lightest Fender basses offered ... and was available for under $500 most everywhere street price, until clearanced under $400 to make room for the 'upgraded' Fender Highway ONE ??...

... sorry, couldnt help myself :)

... Edit to add: .... not meant to be rude zoomie, it was meant to be a joke because your post came just 2 posts after my earlier comments .. I glanced at your profile after I posted and saw you were 15 and I realized you were only 6 years old when the Hwy 1 was introduced ... to explain, a Hwy 1 and a Hwy ONE are two completely different basses ... :)

18. They're two different basses? I didn't realize that. That clears things up now. Thanks.