1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender highway USA bass vs Fender standard USA bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fender78man, Sep 18, 2008.

1. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    Would like to hear your opinions regarding those two bass guitars, jazz basses and precisions..

What are the good and bad points about highway and standard usa basses.

I am interested to know about electronics, pickups, quality of wood if different? Soundwise too..

Thanks

2. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Me too.

I have a Highway One P and absolutely love it. Never had the chance to compare it to an American Standard, since the 'Standard' they said they had over the phone was actually a HW1. It was only $700 and felt and sounded great, so I'm happy.

I'm curious to know if there is a big difference.

3. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks for your replies guys!

It helps..

Still everyone got their own opinions on the two basses... Hmm..

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've always been a Precision guy myself. I own a handful of P-Basses including a Highway 1 and the new American Standard (on my third one, since I've had 2 stolen so far)

Both are good basses though I'm partial to the Am. Standard. When I got the Highway I couldn't get it to sound good, even after a setup. I put a fretless neck on it and now its golden. I also replaced the Grease Bucket with a traditional tone circuit. In my opinion its the Grease Bucket that deprives the Highway basses of balls. Replacing it cost me under $10.

The Am. standard basses are extremely punchy IMO and IME. Mine is currently strung with GHS flats.

5. Nagan60

Nagan60

Jan 15, 2005
    Roanoke, VA
    I got a chance to play a highway bass the other day. I will say this......VERY good basses indeed. I think a lot of it has to do with the BadAss II bridge being on it though. Plus the particular bass that I played had a pretty decent setup from the factory on it....which is RARE. I own a American Vintage 75 Reissue.....and honestly I'm glad that I ordered my bass rather than playing it in the store. Had my 75 reissue been in the store the same time as the highway bass....I might have went with the highway bass. Anyway, I ordered a BadASS II for my 75 and it should be in sometime this week. I also did my own setup on the bass but will do another setup once the bridge arrives to get the bass like I wanted.

Sorry I got off subject....blasted ADD, but yeah the Highway bass is a good bass....go for it.

6. bassfrenzie

bassfrenzie

May 26, 2008
    I have never compared my '08 Highway Jazz to an American, but I sure do love the Highway. Plenty of guts and tone variation for sure.

I had to raise the pups but now I can go from a thick & deep ballsy growl to a sound similar to a Ricky and all kinds of stuff in between.

By mixing the bridge & the neck pup + the tone control I get a lot of choices sound wise.

It looks cool, has excellent action and awesome sound.

I Love this bass!

7. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008

So you liked your highway one more than your 75 reissue bass?
    In terms of sound or the feel of the neck and body?

8. fender78man

fender78man

Sep 16, 2008

You could get it sound good , can you describe what exactly you mean. Sounded thinner and less bassy? Or muddy?