Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Historians:Why did I take this photo...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M.R. Ogle, Nov 29, 2004.

1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    ... of my 1956 Precision in the doorway of Jimmy's Bar and Grill?

Hint, look closely at the building.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jaco Pastorius told you to.

3. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    ... look at the address.

4. It doesn't ring a bell with this young musician. Thats a very beautiful instrument you have there, though. Even from a distance.

5. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It was one of the original places where Fenders were built??

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    500 S. Raymond was the address of the original Fender factory.

7. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    I just got an idea to cruise over to Fullerton to see if any of the original Fender factory sites were still around. The very first Fender factory was leveled to make way for a parking garage, but there is a brass sign and two murals on the new structure noting that this was the original Fender site from 1945 to 1952.

Well, my bass is a 1956, so I looked up the next address, and it was at 500 S. Raymond, right by the railroad tracks. It's now a sports bar.

The people in the bar were not aware that they were drinking in the same place where Buddy, Jimi and Eric's guitars were built. I think they thought I was kidding, but I showed them the photo in Forrest White's book, Fender, The Inside Story" (on page 61) and the photo on page 111 of J. W. Black and Albert Molinaro's "The Fender Bass" book... and they about fell off their barstools. But they gave me a free drink.

So, my bass went "home" for a visit.

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    When I was a kid in Fullerton, I remember riding my bike over to the Fender factory...must have been early '60s. There was a dumpster out back, with a fence around it, with a bunch of reject necks inside.

Without planning it, I have a '74 Jazz and an '81 G&L, both made in Fullerton.

9. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Yeah, knew some other kids who did that, too. They gave me some of the stuff they pulled out of the back of G&L!!!

10. I need to move.

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Mr. Ogle, great story dude! You hopefully managed to take the waitress home didn't you? Looking great from a distance.....she is almost as beautifull as your precision.

IMO that old Precision model is the most fantastic looking bass around the world. Off course we can argue about it, but take notice that it has got balls.... and is yet stylish.... I really dig it. Don't you ever sell it!!!

12. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    So I says to the bartender that's not a duck that my 56 Fender Precision.

Beautiful bass by the way.

13. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the "transition" era Precisions are great.... still the single coil pickup, but heavily contoured, rounded edge body with a very deep tummy cut. You ought to see the back of it, though... it looks like a very old kid's school desk, very worn, but very beautiful.
    Of course, to be honest, I bought it because I wanted a Fender born the same year as me....1956.

14. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    ***high five***

...also born in 1956 :D Great year for Fender Precisions and Chevrolet Bel Aire coupes.

15. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Every bassist should have a Precision for "that sound" and every bassist should have one built the year they were born just for the fun of it!!!
    However, if you're older than fifty, that would make it just about impossible... very few of those early, early slab-bodied P's floating around anymore.

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Yeah, they didn't make Fender basses in 1842!

Here's another oddity:

I have a BA from Cal-State Fullerton. At least in the '60's, when I went there, it was a commuter college...everybody got there from somewhere else. Me, I worked on the swing shift at the Lemon Products Sunkist in Corona, CA, running the 60' truck scale while I was going to college. A couple of years ago, I went back for a visit to Riverside CA where my family still lives, and my brother took me to the Fender factory in Corona.

Damned if it isn't on the grounds of the old Sunkist plant! The only part Sunkist retained was the cold house, where they stored lemonade concentrate and suchlike waiting for shipment.

I always played JBs, until I got a Carvin LB20 (made about 100 miles south, down 395).

17. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    LOL!!!
    That's a good one!

18. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    ... but someone asked me for a photo of the first Fender factory site (now a parking garage) in Fullerton. Here it is....
    The city put up a parking garage, but installed two murals and a bronze cast sign (to the left of the right entrance) to commemorate the place.